Toilet Install Help Needed. circa 1936

Users who are viewing this thread

wentworth

Reaction score
I apologize if I ramble a little.

I bought a 1930's home. In the corner of the office there is a tiny water closet (16 sq ft in an 'L' shape). In this water closet there was a beautiful, pristine 1936-1938 Standard Modernus. The toilet leaked at the spud in the bowl, and at the wax ring. I took the toilet out, replaced a lot of rotten subfloor, re-tiled, and installed a flange.

I also replaced all of the parts on the bowl and tank of the toilet. I then bought a new flush el and tried to reinstall the Modernus.

The WC has a 12" rough-in, but I can't seem to get the Modernus to fit. The flush el needs to enter the tank 4.5 inches from the wall, but the flush el currently lines up 2"-2.5" too long. I tried (with a previous pipe) cutting the el, but taking 2" off gets into the bend and I can't get a good seal into the bowl spud.

I've considered replacing the Modernus with something new, but that would be a shame. I also don't know if anything new would fit. Currently, with the Modernus, the front of the bowl is 25" from the back wall. That is about the limit. I could maybe go 1-2 more inches (probably not 2), but the WC is already so cramped that your knees are almost under the wall mounted sink if you sit down. At 28" there would be absolutely no way to stand between the sink and the toilet (if you happen to stand when using the toilet or sink).

I'm looking for someone who has an idea or opinion on how I can make this WC function. It is the only bathroom on the main level of our home, and I'd like to invite my grandparents over.

Thanks for any help, ideas, or opinions

wentworth

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Are you saying to look for a pipe with a bend that will allow a good seal? That would be nice, but the plumbing supply store I go to only has one option. Do you know if more options are available, and if so where can I find something suitable.

A little more information on the project. The bathroom is on the main floor with an unfinished basement below. The pipe is cast iron with what appears to be lead at the top. It runs stright from the toilet through the basement and into the basement floor directly below the toilet.

I've attached 2 pictures of Standard Modernus toilets. These may help someone understand what I am talking about well enough to offer some additional assistance.

Attachments

• p_toilet_white_modernus_3.jpg
    p_toilet_white_modernus_3.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 986
  • toilet.jpg
    toilet.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 4,606

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would check as terry said for other sources for a flush el.

A different manufacturer may us a tighter bend radius in their design.
It may also be tighter on one side of the bend than the other.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks