Toilet hold down the handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Higgledy

Reaction score
i have a newer American Standard toilet. I need to hold the handle down to get a complete flush. I replaced the flapper cuz that is what I found on my Google search. But that did not fix the problem. What else can be wrong? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most new toilets get by with only a portion of the water in the tank needed.
The tanks hold far more water than is needed. 1.28 gallons per flush is normal and will flush away liquids and solids. You don't need to drain the tank for that to work.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
i have a newer American Standard toilet. I need to hold the handle down to get a complete flush. I replaced the flapper cuz that is what I found on my Google search. But that did not fix the problem. What else can be wrong? Thanks
If its a cadet pro style, you can adjust the flapper, there is a dial on it. Look at image, if its the same you can adjust

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190824-002344_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190824-002344_Chrome.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 130

Higgledy

Reaction score
Most new toilets get by with only a portion of the water in the tank needed.
The tanks hold far more water than is needed. 1.28 gallons per flush is normal and will flush away liquids and solids. You don't need to drain the tank for that to work.

Waste is remaining in the bowl after the flush, even when I flush only pee.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do an experiment. Fill a bucket with water and slowly pour it into the bowl. The water level should only slightly increase, and when you stop, it will return to where it was when you began. If that works, dump a bunch of water in and see how well that works. While not exactly the same, it should flush. Modern toilets tend to use a siphon jet (the hole at the front of the toilet) to accelerate the water so it can start to siphon. Old toilets, just relied on filling the bowl with lots of water, and eventually, it would have enough pressure to start the flush. DUmping a lot of water into the toilet bowl emulates an older toilet since there's nothing going through the siphon jet path.

If your siphon jet's path is plugged, there's not enough water going through to cause it to flush.

It could be lots of things, but you may have a partially blocked drain line. This could be in the toilet, at the flange (excess wax, or improperly installed could be blocking part of the outlet), or down the drain line. A toilet won't flush if the drain line is full, or it can't move the water out properly.

Make sure the hose from the fill valve is properly positioned and the bowl is getting properly filled prior to the flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks