Toilet help - leak where tank meets bowl when flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

Livatx

Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping you can help solve this toilet issue I ran into doing a DIY fix.

The back story - the toilet was running all the time and not fully flushing so a few months ago we simply shut it off and used the other bathroom.

Today I installed the Fluidmaster Toilet Fill Valve & Flapper kit for 2" flapper systems. Two issues arose.

1. When turning on the water, I noticed a slow drip leak that appeared to be coming out of the nearby connection where the tank is bolted to the bowl.

2. When I flushed the toilet for the first time, water gushed forward from under the tank out towards the bowl and onto the floor.

I did notice afterwards that wiggling the tank a bit one way or the other could slow or speed up the constant drip at the bolt site.

My first thought is to simply replace the bolt (can they lose a seal?), but the amount of water that came out when I flushed it seems like too much for just that one leaky spot.

Thanks for your insight!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I would change the tank bolts. Get a good solid brass set with two nuts and two washers. Attach as follows:

Inside the tank: bolt head and rubber washer.

Outside the tank, metal washer and first nut (if there are two metal washers).

Tighten snugly, say hand-tight plus a quarter turn or a bit more.

Mount the tank, and under the bowl put the second metal washer and the second nut. Tighten down in accordance with manufacturer's instructions for mounting the tank. Tank should be stable with no wobble -- you are compressing the rubber donut, so you want to tighten a good bit, but never beyond when porcelain touches porcelain, because it will crack.

You can always sand just a bit around the bolt holes inside the tank to make sure that the rubber washer makes a good seal.

Except on the Toto Aquia, the metal washer DOES NOT go in the tank. Every handy-hack thinks it does, and this causes a lot of bowl leaks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it leaks when being flushed, but not when sitting, it's most likely the tank to bowl gasket.
Most brands will use the same gasket, though Gerber has their own gasket that is a little thicker.
It never hurts while you have the tank off to replace the tank bolt rubber seals too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks