Toilet gurgle - normal? Kohler Santa Rosa

Users who are viewing this thread

Fouroheight68

Reaction score
I’m a general contractor, so I know a little about a lot, but this one is stumping me. At my own house, I replaced the toilet because the wax ring had failed. When I pulled it off, the flange was out of level 1/4”. I used a double stacked wax ring, installed it, flushed it and it gurgled. The full level in the bowl was really low. I thought maybe the wax had created a blockage, so replaced it with a waxless. Reinstalled, and still gurgled, with a low fill level in the bowl. It is a 1.28 gpf. Is this gurgle normal?

Fouroheight68

Reaction score
This is the “resting” water level in the bowl

Attachments

• 5ED1080A-5B35-405A-B163-1402057828AE.jpeg
    5ED1080A-5B35-405A-B163-1402057828AE.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 737

Reach4

Reaction score
After the tank is full, note the resting water level in the bowl. Slowly add a cup or two of water. Does the water settle down to the original level, or settle higher?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's acting up in part because it's not starting with enough water in the bowl. I would check first whether the refill hose in the "tank" is pointed down into the overflow riser. If that's okay, come back for more suggestions. I would also check and make sure that the toilet is level front to back.

Fouroheight68

Reaction score
After the tank is full, note the resting water level in the bowl. Slowly add a cup or two of water. Does the water settle down to the original level, or settle higher?
It settles higher

It is slightly, maybe 1/8” out of level from front to back

See photo, refill hose is in factory position

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 752

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I was going to tell you that the refill hose looked kinked in your photo. But I didn't expect that the complete solution would be that simple.

Having seen a million flushes in person and on video, it was quite apparent that there wasn't enough water in the bowl at the start of the flush cycle for the siphon to initiate properly; some of the flush water that ran from the "tank" when you pushed the handle was being used to fill the bowl up to the proper level before any actual flushing (siphoning) started to occur. I assume that the whole operation of the thing is smoother now.

Congratulations on solving the problem!!

Last edited:

Fouroheight68

Reaction score
I was going to tell you that the refill hose looked kinked in your photo. But I didn't expect that the complete solution would be that simple.

Having seen a million flushes in person and on video, it was quite apparent that there wasn't enough water in the bowl at the start of the flush cycle for the siphon to initiate properly; some of the flush water that ran from the "tank" when you pushed the handle was being used to fill the bowl up to the proper level before any actual flushing (siphoning) started to occur. I assume that the whole operation of the thing is smoother now.

Congratulations on solving the problem!!

Thanks for the help! I guess Kohlers QC game was off that day. Would have saved me 3 toilet rings and a bunch of time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks