Toilet Gasket Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Troodon

Reaction score
Our cabin has a toilet (Brand: Olmos, made in Uruguay) that needs a new tank-to-bowl gasket. I couldn't find any info online for Olmos toilets. It was leaking out the back, and the gasket I took off looked corroded. Not knowing what I was doing, I just measured the opening and figured the most general toilet gasket of that size would fit. Wrong!

I think the one I took off was sponge, not rubber. The pipe coming out of the bottom of the tank has a hex nut on it, which prevents a seal with the rubber gasket I bought. I don't know if the hex imprint on the old gasket is from many years of pressure from that nut, or if the gasket was designed like that to fit over a hex nut. I'm hoping someone here might know what I need, or might have seen these before?

Below are pictures. I also measured how much the pipe and hex nut stick out from the bottom of the tank. The hex nut sticks out 0.5 inches, and the pipe extends another 0.5 inches. So 1 inch total. And yes, the toilet was installed over carpet! Thanks for reading.

IMG_8295.JPG

20220424_142413.jpg

IMG_8292.JPG

IMG_8285.JPG

IMG_8282.JPG

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You are going to just have to go see what's around.
Ashby Plumbing Supply and if no luck head up to Pastime Hardware.

Troodon

Reaction score
Ashby Plumbing Supply didn't have anything that looked good, but Pastime had a very promising-looking beveled sponge gasket in their bulk-bin washer section. I got 2, just in case. The I.D. of the gasket is maybe 0.25 inches smaller than the O.D. of the pipe going down from the toilet tank, but the sponge can stretch a little, and the O.D. of the gasket is just a bit wider than the widest section of the hex nut. If anything works, this will. At least that's what I'm telling myself! I'll be able to try it at the cabin on Thursday. Thanks again breplum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks