Toilet for SMALL SPACE with 10" rough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Alex Outlaw

Reaction score
Currently remodeling a 39" x 39" closet sized bathroom. Toilet rough-in is 10". Cracked old toilet was 23" from back wall. In order to gain more knee space would like to replace with either 1) corner toilet or 2) with 10" rough in toilet with conventional back that would be set at a diagonal (I realize that back wall(s) would have to be reframed so tank could be set back into corner - so as to enable bowl drain to fit into floor drain). If replaced with corner toilet, this would also involve reframing because all corner toilets (that I have found) are 12" rough-in. One thought - is it possible (feasible) to place a corner tank on a 10" rough-in bowl? Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
You wouldn't want a high tank toilet, would you? They are often premium priced. A Flushometer would probably take significant re-piping to supply the GPM for that flush.
mGOMjuNx5YJge7-zCoF9_zg.jpg
toto-commercial-flushometer-toilet-ada-cotton-toto-ct705eln0-256px-256px.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A wall-hung with an in-wall tank might end up the shortest, but your wall itself would need work to accommodate the hanger, drain, and tank assembly. There may be a floor mount toilet that is designed for an in-wall tank. A flushometer valve would likely not work, since you are unlikely to have the required minimum water pipe supplying the bathroom. Note, when remodeling, code generally requires bringing things up to current codes...code requires clear space of 15" either side of the centerline of a toilet. It also generally requires a sink, but it could be separate from the room where the toilet is.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Keep it square. And knee room isn't about the length of the toilet, it's about butt position.

So save yourself a ton of remodeling money, and a possible code violation, and just get yourself a nice Toto skirted toilet like the Carlyle II, which will fit on your 10" rough-in with the Unifit adapter. If that's too much bread (500-ish in white), then try the Vespin II (400-ish in white), which will also fit on your 10" rough with the Unifit.

Reach4

Reaction score
CADET PRO RIGHT HEIGHT ROUND FRONT TOILET 10" ROUGH-IN is a 10 inch round toilet that sticks out 26.25 inches from the WALL.

Elongated drake sticks out less that Vespin II and Carlyle II
CST744SF.10

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Outlaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the input - really appreciate. I did consider the high tank, ones I viewed looked like 12" rough-in - probably a little pricey for me too. Would like to have something that works well. Plumbed bath with 1/2 - could run 3/4's for more volume - rather not - since I just closed in floor with tile and wall (in kitchen and bath) with drywall. House is over 100 years old. Original bath on second floor with toilet in basement. Toilet room in progress - head of stairs (from basement) between living room, dining room and kitchen. Three inch vent pipe directly behind floor drain on one wall - so an in wall tank would require rerouting the vent. Another question can a UniFit adapter be put in backwards so that a 12" rough-in toilet can be placed over a 10" rough-in? Is there any real advantage of trying to get a 12" over a 10", i.e., do they flush better? Placing a toilet diagonal is the only way that I can think of that will give 15" of a least elbow space on either side of the toilet in such a small space.

Reach4

Reaction score
corner_toilet.png
This sketch illustrates what you propose. For every 1/2 inch you could bring the toilet away from the wall, the tank could be 1 inch wider. I don't know of a toilet that would be close to fitting.

Another question can a UniFit adapter be put in backwards so that a 12" rough-in toilet can be placed over a 10" rough-in?
No. There is a 10-inch Unifit available for purchase. Not cheap.

Last edited:

Alex Outlaw

Reaction score
Hey, Thanks for the sketch. Very helpful to know how far the tank will set back on the diagonal. With a 19" wide tank it will cut into a wall stud and possibly hit the vent pipe. A narrower tank certainly would be helpful!!! Will attach a photo of the toilet wall from the kitchen.

IMG_1411.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all Toto toilets use their Unifit adapter, but if it does, it comes with a 12" one in the price. If you need a 10" one, you buy it and throw the 12" one away since there is no credit or market for them. Most toilets must be specifically made for the various rough-in distances. Sometimes, they remake the bowl, but often, they just adjust the tank thickness. The Totos that use the Unifit adapter, all use the same toilet, and the adapter is what comes shorter or longer to make the toilet fit.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Currently remodeling a 39" x 39" closet sized bathroom. Toilet rough-in is 10". Cracked old toilet was 23" from back wall. In order to gain more knee space would like to replace with either 1) corner toilet or 2) with 10" rough in toilet with conventional back that would be set at a diagonal (I realize that back wall(s) would have to be reframed so tank could be set back into corner - so as to enable bowl drain to fit into floor drain). If replaced with corner toilet, this would also involve reframing because all corner toilets (that I have found) are 12" rough-in. One thought - is it possible (feasible) to place a corner tank on a 10" rough-in bowl? Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful. Thanks.
Addressing your specific question, American Standard's Cadet line -- which is excellent -- offers 10" rough-in models and corner models with either round or elongated bowl. Here are links that will show the different models along with their specs, etc. The corner and non-corner models use the same bowl, but a different tank. For example, the Cadet PRO Right Height Round Front 10" rough-in (Model 215BB.104), the Cadet PRO Right Height Round Front 12" rough-in (Model 215BA.104), and the Cadet PRO Triangle Right Height Round Front (Model 216BD.104) all use bowl 3517B.101.

The MSRPs listed are much higher than what a quick online search of the model numbers will show you can reasonably expect to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you use the Cadet corner toilet, make sure you leave room for your arms. They work well, but when conserving space, you can't just wedge them in anywhere. I was instructed to install one near a pedestal lav once. Not inspected at any point I would guess. I felt like the bowl of the lav was very near my head.
Like mentioned above, the corner toilets are done on a 12" rough. That's 12" from the corner, both walls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks