Toilet for Low Pressure House

Users who are viewing this thread

Pablo Rodriguez

Reaction score
This is a bit of a continuation to another thread I created ~9 months ago where I was looking for a toilet to use at an off-grid property where the water fed to the house is from a water tank where the head of pressure equates to ~5psi to the house. In looking at ways to boost that (pressure boosters mainly), I haven't found a cost effective way to do that and have thus not purchased or installed a toilet to the property. In researching what may work with such limited pressure, I wanted to get thoughts on different systems out there and whether there's an option available here.

House details: water tank fed, 5psi pressure at inlet to toilet, septic system ~20ft from house, 4in drain line, construction ~1982, 10" rough-in

I really, really liked the Glacier Bay vacuum-assist offered through Home Depot but they only make it as a 12" rough-in! :( Basically, I want a 10" system that's as-good as that Glacier Bay is purported to be.

System #1: Niagara Stealthflush - Vacuum-assist at 0.8 GpF (MaP rated at 800) - clearing the trapway seems fine but worried about moving waste down the line at only 0.8GpF.

System #2: American Standard Cadet 3 at 1.6 GpF (MaP rated at 1000) - this seems like a really good option... highly rated, but risk in clogs at such a low pressure?

System #3: Fine Fixtures / Swiss Madison Washdowns at 1.6 GpF (no MaP rating) - I like the washdown options and don't mind the "cleanliness" issues so much (multiple flushes, cleaning often... not a bother). Install seems more difficult for a layman and the lack of a MaP rating is strange... am I missing something to these systems?

Appreciate any help the community could offer!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The flush is NOT dependent upon the fill pressure of the water supply IN ANY WAY on any WC/toilet
Water supply pressure only comes in to play when filling the tank, period. It will take forever for your tank to refill.
That GB WC uses a simple Fluidmaster style ballcock, same as the AS one uses.
I have no experience on how long it takes but eventually should refill the tank and bowl and shut off when the tank is full.
I have the AS Cadet3 FlowWise 1.28GPF (also MaP rated 1,000) and highly recommend it. It has never clogged on me.
I always recommend getting rid of 10" rough and converting to 12" to allow widest options on WC choices.

Pablo Rodriguez

Reaction score
breplum - Thank you for the reply. That's good to know that the only pressure that "matters" is the local to the toilet when a flush is initiated. And, yes, the fill time is going to be a pain... and you bringing that up makes me question the washdown units as no courtesy flush would be possible until 10-20 minutes later. It sounds like the Cadet could be a good option and I'll start looking into whether the drain pipe could be slightly modified to fit a 12" rough-in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends somewhat on the fill valve involved...some can need a minimum pressure to function, but a gravity flush toilet doesn't need water pressure to flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks