toilet fluses sometimes, backs up other times, bubbles...

Users who are viewing this thread

hanleyk

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
my toilet flushes okay sometimes and then backs up other times. it backs up so the water is at about rim level. the water will go back to normal level in about an hour.
don't know if this is related but when it does flush okay, i hear gurgling noises from the tub drain. also when i drain the tub, the toilet starts bubbling. the tub always drains okay. Untitled-1..gif

why is the toilet backing up only sometimes? i'm stumped!

thanks,
kerry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have a partial blockage in the drain line. It depends on how long since you've drained anything, how far it backs up and how well anything you dump down it can go...recent uses, little room; long time since anything drained, more room for stuff to fill up the pipe. So, you probably need to have the line cleaned out. Now, this could be more serious if you have a septic tank...you may need to have that pumped out, or the leach fields could be staturated and there's no place for stuff to go.

hanleyk

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks jim. no septic tank.

i just found a lot of info in the 'drain cleaning' forum!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks