Toilet Flange will be too low

Users who are viewing this thread

JamesScott

Reaction score
Hi All,

I laying tile in my upstairs bathroom. With the new install my flange will sit below the floor, probably around a quarter inch. What steps do I take to extend the flange so that it will sit just above the tile job?

I am not sure what type of flange it is - My house is older and it looks like a cast iron flange that is an extension of the pipe. It is 4 inchs. It is not screwed down into the subfloor, but it is firm. I purchased a PVC flange extender kit from Lowes and I am wondering if this will do the trick.

Per the kit instructions, I need to screw the extender into the subfloor, but the slots of the screw sit on top of the old flange, so that's not an option.

Can I use some sort of PVC cement to adhere the two?

Can I drill into the previous flange to create the holes for the screws.

Can I install PVC over the cast iron flange?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
JamesScott said:
Can I drill into the previous flange to create the holes for the screws.

Can I install PVC over the cast iron flange?

Sure, and I would use stainless screws and even machine screws if you have a way to tap threads for them ... and be sure the extension is well-sealed against the original flange.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is the inside of the pipe cast lron or lead.

If cast I would use an extended repair flange with a gasget that fits tight inside the cast iron pipe B 4 I would use the flange extender kit.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Or, you can do what I did with the same situation when we tiled our upstairs and downstairs bathrooms back in '98...I raised the downstairs flange to sit on top of the tile (over a crawlspace) and just doubled up the wax rings upstairs. I used a regular wax ring on bottom and a wax ring with a plastic horn on top. It hasn't leaked a drop in 9 years.
I'm not a pro plumber, just a long-time DIYer. There obviously are other ways to solve the problem. That's just what I did with mine.
I have PVC flanges, and they are bolted to the floor. To be installed correctly, of course, the flanges should be bolted on top of the finished floor level with only the thickness of the flange above the finished floor level.
Good Luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks