Toilet Flange Too High

Users who are viewing this thread

Ativas

Reaction score
Hi all ...

I have to install a toilet in a recently renovated bathroom ... the problem is, the new sub-floor is lower than the old sub-floor and toilet flange.

The person who did this renovating removed the old sub-floor then put down a sheet of 3/8 wood underlay as the new sub-floor. By the looks of things, the original floor was a piece of plywood with underlay over that .... anyway, the new floor - which has already been tiled - is about 1/2 - 3/4" (at least) lower than the bottom of the existing/old toilet flange.

This is the home of an elderly couple with little money ... their son did the bathroom renovation but isn't sure how to fix the toilet problem so they asked me - mistake number two. :) I'm just a do-it-yourselfer who hasn't seen this problem before.

I suspect there are simple solutions to this problem but it seemed like a good idea to tap the minds of people who really do know things, rather than ask a store employee who really doesn't.

Your help is greatly appreciated - thank you.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Can you supply us with a picture?
What is the I.D of the pipe?
Do you have access to the undeside of this floor either in a basement or in the ceiling of the floor below it?

Ativas

Reaction score
Can you supply us with a picture?
I could get a picture but probably not for a few days. It just looks like a newly laid floor with the flange sitting 1/2" or so above the tile, attached to the pipe of course.

What is the I.D of the pipe?
Not sure what you mean exactly but it's 4" ABS - pretty sure. I'm in Canada and I believe that is standard for toilet drains.

Do you have access to the undeside of this floor either in a basement or in the ceiling of the floor below it?
No.

Hope this helps. I thought maybe there was some kind of adaptor or something, or 'perhaps' (not sure) I could cut off the pipe under the flange and put a new one on?

Thanks for any help.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay it helps that you know what your talking about.:)

4" gives us a few more options than 3"

Pretty much all we need to know is if the flange is on the outside or, inside of the pipe. If it is on the outside you can trim the pipe to the proper height and install a new flange on the inside.

If the flange is on the inside of the pipe you'll have to carefully cut break pry the old flange out of the pipe. I usually put a large hose clamp around the outside of the pipe to help avoid breaking it.

Ativas

Reaction score
Okay thanks ... I have a lot of experience under my belt but by no means do I consider myself an expert. This one stumped me a little. What you are suggesting is right along the lines of what I was thinking; I just wasn't sure if there was an 'easy out' that I didn't know about. Unfortunately I have to go to their house to examine things, but I will do that asap and see what I come up with.

I really appreciate your help Redwood - thanks so much. It makes a big difference to hear it from someone else - especially someone more knowledgable than myself. I wish he'd just replaced the sub-floor up to the level of the flange, but what can you do?

I'm still wide open for ideas if you or anyone thinks of any other tips/suggestions, but like I said, I appreciate this.

Thanks again.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
One other thing that you would do well with is to find a flange that is not all plastic but has a stainless steel ring. http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/716/Closet+Flanges+with+Stainless+Steel+Rings.html

ssclosetflange_l.jpg

If you need any more help get a pic to post! It will cut out a thousand words in your post! LOL
Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks