Toilet Flange to Sub Floor Securement

Users who are viewing this thread

Smatz

Reaction score
We had new flooring installed the other day and the installer mentioned that there was an issue with the toilet flange. Before removing the toilet, I tried moving it and it there was very little movement side to side. I removed the toilet, removed the wax ring and noticed that a couple of the flange securing nails had popped up a bit allowing some movement (not too much) of the flange. It looks like some of the sub floor where the flange was sitting was rotten and allowed a couple of the nails to come up. It is not currently wet so I assume it's been like this for awhile. pounding the nails in didn't change anything.

Is there any issue with leaving the flange like this? I was hoping to not remove the new flooring to repair this.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You really need to secure the closet bolts somehow. They make repair flanges that allow screwing them down outside of the normal round ring.

red-ring-repair-love-2.jpg

quick-ring-terrylove-1.jpg

Smatz

Reaction score
You really need to secure the closet bolts somehow. They make repair flanges that allow screwing them down outside of the normal round ring.

red-ring-repair-love-2.jpg

quick-ring-terrylove-1.jpg
Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at my local hardware store for this. barring that, would Lepage PL400 be an option to cement the existing flange in place and keep the nails down?

Reach4

Reaction score
No.

What is that photo? If you wanted to show your flange and floor, you missed.
What kind of floor are the nails into? How about replacing the nails with long screws? Or through-bolts using your access in the crawl space to provide something substantial under there?

Smatz

Reaction score
I ended up using some epoxy to secure the bolts. It worked fantastic, cemented them in nice and firm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks