Toilet flange to outlet pipe question

Users who are viewing this thread

hydropsyche

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be installing my toilet flange in a newly remodeled bathroom within the next week. I thought I had finalized what I should be installing, but want to confirm here with others that are far more knowledgeable than I am.

Attaching some pics to go along with the description.

What I had was 3" PVC coming up from the basement, with a 4" outer diameter hub toilet flange cemented over that. The height of that sat well above the new finished floor and needed to be cut down, which I did. It was cut down to slightly below the finished floor, but not far enough down where it was back down to straight 3" PVC. I have a new toilet flange with a 4" inner diameter that will fit over the cut down section of the old hub flange. I'm hesitant to cut down to the 3" and basically start clean with a coupling and appropriately sized length of 3" up through the floor, because there's not a lot of room to get a cutting tool into the space in the basement

1. If I install what I have now, it'll basically be a hub fitting over another cut down hub fitting. This will leave a "lip" from the existing hub inside the new flange. Should I worry about that lip catching and building up any gunk?

2. Could I cement an appropriately sized section of 4"PVC pipe inside the new flange, to bring that lip up and flush to the top of the flange, and basically eliminate the lip?

thanks in advance

IMG_8906[1].jpg
IMG_8907[1].jpg
IMG_8908[1].jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I infer your old flange was 3" hub/4" inside fit, and your new flange must be 4" spigot end, so the old flange end can fit inside the new flange.

Not sure I'd want to leave a remnant of the old flange in the equation. How much height of the old flange is left? If it's at least 1.75" (the hub depth on a 4" solvent weld connection), I guess it would work. Not sure about your question about creating an internal lip, that does seems problematic.

Can you remove the rest of the hub and use a long 3" hub closet flange, like this:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Raven-PVC436SS-3-x-4-PVC-Closet-Flange-w-Stainless-Steel-Ring

That would still leave an internal lip, but narrower, I think.

Cheers, Wayne

hydropsyche

Reaction score
Here’s a photo showing the inside “lip”. Innermost layer is the 3” pipe, middle layer is remnant of the old flange, and around all of it is the new flange. It’ll go down another 3/4” when pushed down firm, which will still leave a lip between the top of the remnants and the top of the new flange. That’s where I’m thinking there’s potential for buildup. Cutting it down further would be difficult due to clearance I think I’d need to get any sort of cutting tool in the right place to cut. Unless you guys have some tricks/suggestions on how to do that.

5F9E5698-6636-4EBB-BA5D-8B463036EC86.jpeg

hydropsyche

Reaction score
Check out Pipe Parana. I don't know if anybody rents them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pipe-Paran...ngs-works-good-on-toliet-flanges/274610937130 was somebody selling a used one. You could sell yours when done, presumably.

I think you could install a PushTite or inside glued flange without removing anything. Do you understand "inside" in this context?
index.php
Yep this makes sense...what I’m attempting is basically an outside fit with what I have now.

that’s all the local hardware store had...maybe need to take a ride to one of the box stores or plumbing supply house to get an inside fit that’ll fit into the existing 3” pvc.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reach4 has good suggestions. If you like your existing flange, and your only concern is the lip, you could raise the lip up so that it is near the toilet horn and unlikely to catch anything. If you can make your current cut square, you could get another 4" inside/3" outside flange, cut the outlet off to glue in as a filler, and then glue in a piece of 3" pipe. But that's a bit of trouble.

Cheers, Wayne

sioux-chief-888-am-01.jpg

sioux-chief-888-am-02.jpg

sioux-chief-888-am-03.jpg

They make this in ABS and PVC

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks