Toilet Flange to go over 4 inch OD Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY Trouble

Reaction score
Bit of an odd request, I think? Been searching all over the internets but no results yet.

Long story short
Basement toilet was leaking. The guy before me put an ABS flange over 3" pipe but did not affix it to the floor or level the toilet properly, also put the flange flush to the floor instead of on top of the finished tile surface. As a result the flange cracked. Needs to be fixed and I would like to do this right so..... no flange that fits inside of a 3"pipe right?.

The standpipe (proper terminology?) part coming out of the floor is good, not cracked and I have dremel'd off the top of the flange so all that remains is the collar of the old flange over the 3" pipe which has an OD of 4". So I now have standpipe which has an ID of 3" and an OD of 4". Is there a replacement flange that has an ID of 4" that I can slip over the old setup or am I going to have to bust up the concrete and run new pipe? If they make such a product will the 1/2" lip give me grief with waste hanging up on it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They do make closet flanges for 4" pipe.
The outlet on most toilets is about 2"
Dropping a 2" drain anywhere over a 3" is going to be easy. The horn of many bowls is about 2-5/8", which easily fits inside a 3" pipe.

Closet flanges come in
hub to fit over 4" pipe
spigot to fit inside 4" coupling or fitting
hub to fit over 3" pipe
spigot to fit inside a 3" coupling or fitting
Inside pipe flange to fit inside a 3" pipe.

abs-4-closet-flange-terrylove-1.jpg

This one is the biggest, it fits over 4" pipe. Not the one you need though.

Last edited:

DIY Trouble

Reaction score
A little confused. But I think I have 2 options.
1. The OD of my pipe coming out of the floor is 4". A 4"' flange will fit over this? So a 4" flange could be one solution.
2. Get a flange that fits inside of a 3" pipe. From what I've read (this forum included https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?23573-Inside-fit-closet-flange-3) that isn't the best idea. Or is this a legitimate fix. Because if so this option would save me the most work.

Thanks for the quick response

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks