Toilet flange spacer ring question

Users who are viewing this thread

NavySuit

Reaction score
Does the spacer need to be screwed down? I'd prefer not to since it is concrete. I'd also rather use plumber's putty than silicone. I don't feel like silicone sticks too well to plastic and I probably wouldn't be able to get it too clean. The existing flange sits about a 1/4" below finished floor levels.

The flange spacers I've found are from oatey, but the toilet bolt holes go in opposite directions. I could probably still use it if I just use it as a spacer and use the old flange to hold the toilet bolts.

I found a Sioux Chief extend a flange that matches up, but it is 7/16 inch thick. This would leave the flange close to 1/4 above the finished floor.

I was hoping to find an extender that matches at Lowe's or Home Depot, so I can get this done this weekend. I found the Sioux Chief one at Ace Hardware.

What are your thoughts?

NavySuit

Reaction score
oatey-toilet-flange-stacker.jpg

toilet-flange-stacker-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you search for "spacer" in the toilet forum, you will find they are not liked. Instead use more wax or a waxless that can deal with the top of the closet flange being 1/4 inch below the floor surface. That is very common, and does not call for extraordinary actions.

NavySuit

Reaction score
Do you think an extra thick wax ring will work for a 1/4" below finished floor flange, or would a double wax ring be better? I've read that people have had issues with double wax rings as well.

Reach4

Reaction score
A waxless seal has some advantages, especially for the less experienced. With wax, it is important to have shims in place before dropping the toilet onto the wax. You can compress wax, but not de-compress wax. A waxless seal is resilient, and can both compress and de-compress. However wax has the greatest ability to conform to odd shapes. Wax can blow open in the face of vigorous plunging when there is a blockage below the toilet.

Fluidmaster 7530P8 has pieces used according to depth needed.
https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/toilet-seals/7530-better-than-wax-wax-free-seal/

Korky 6000BP has pieces used according to depth needed.
https://www.korky.com/products/wax-free-gaskets/wax-free-toilet-seal-kit

Each can be used with flanges that are up to 3/8 inch below the floor surface.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/4" below I drop down one regular wax and then a wax with horn over that. Been doing that for over 46 years.
Or a deep wax with horn also works.

The spacers you intend to use I've had horrible luck with. I would not use a spacer over a flange. I have used them to lift the flange up by placing them below, but will not stack them over the top ever again. It's a messy leak waiting to happen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks