Users who are viewing this thread

Killacam311

Reaction score
Okay, so decided to tackle a home bathroom remodel. Bathroom has ugly pink 1 inch tile and I tear it out. Find out the subfloor is rotted so I replace that. Problem is, I cut the new subfloor around the flange, not thinking that the flange might have to be bolted to something. I redo the tile, but existing flange height is too high because there was like 60 years of different tile layers in my old house. I don't really have a way to add subfloor or wood joists under the old flange for support. It is a lead and oakum caulked closet flange (i think).

If I remove the lead and oakum, reposition flange so it is flush with the floor, and redo a lead and oakum caulked joint, is it okay to not have the closet flange bolted to the floor? I need some professional advice... I really don't want to cut up my new beautiful tile.

Flange height it about a half inch. I really thought the toilet weight would be on the floor and not the flange, and a little caulking around it would call it good...

Attachments

• 20180131_210221.jpg
    20180131_210221.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 20180131_210236.jpg
    20180131_210236.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 253

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Does the flange move up and down? If it's solid, you may be able to use closet bolts to hold the bowl, and caulking. Check the bowl without wax to see if it drops over that.

Killacam311

Reaction score
Does the flange move up and down? If it's solid, you may be able to use closet bolts to hold the bowl, and caulking. Check the bowl without wax to see if it drops over that.

Thanks for the quick reply. Existing flange is very solid... no movement whatsoever. Are you suggesting that I can redo the lead and oakum joint with flange flush to tile, bolt bowl with closet bolts, and caulk toilet base to tile to insure toilet doesn't move? If the existing flange is sturdy you don't see an issue not having closet flange bolted to subfloor?

Killacam311

Reaction score
If the bowl sets down to the floor over that, why would you change it? A single wax no horn would do that.
I would love it if this is the case. Thanks for the confidence. I'll try to put the toilet back tonight. Can you answer a few more questions though?

1. What does "no horn" mean?
2. If the toilet wobbles, or the weight is on the flange, do you think I could drop the flange down until it is flush with the new tile, reattach with lead/oakum, and install the toilet with closet bolts without the flange bolted to any subfloor?

Thanks again - I wish I knew about this website months ago.

Reach4

Reaction score
waxbowlrings.jpg
Top ring has no horn. Horns differ, but no horn is only wax.

How high is that flange off of the floor? If the toilet sits up when dry fit, then you can look a the options. Rocking can occur even if the toilet is not sitting on a high flange. Shims are used for that.

While doing stuff, replace that stop valve and escutcheon. A nice quarter-turn ball valve is best.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like Terry said, if the flange doesn't move, you're ok. Install the toilet and run a bead of kick-ass caulk around the base and you'll be ok. If you have teenage boys in the house, run two beads of kick-ass caulk around the base.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks