Toilet flange replacement advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

bfox4546

Reaction score
Bathroom 010.jpg
View attachment 30428

View attachment 30429
We are in a house built in 1956. Recently the toilet and shower in the master bedroom started to drain slower. Then the toilet backed up. Assuming a clog I used a plunger on the toilet. While plunging I see water coming out from under the toilet. I pulled the carpet back and the plywood floor was wet and looked rotted around the toilet.
I'm in the process of replacing the floor. Also going to replace the toilet. The problem I've run into is a 10" lead pipe riser attached to the toilet flange. I would appreciate knowing the correct way to remove the riser and what to replace it with.
I replaced the water lines in this house and also put in a new shower. All with no problems. I also do plenty of air and water lines at work. However, I have not done toilet replacement. I need to do this right so I don't get to do it twice. Thank you for your time. Bob in Amarillo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The lead is usually attached to the cast iron with a brass ferrule leaded into the hub of the cast iron. A plumber might put a new lead piece in, but many would remove the lead, the brass ferrule, and clean up the hub then use a rubber donut to transition to plastic. Fernco makes lots of sizes, and keep in mind that cast iron hubs vary considerably in size, and you might need to order the needed one.

Reach4

Reaction score
The problem I've run into is a 10" lead pipe riser attached to the toilet flange. I would appreciate knowing the correct way to remove the riser and what to replace it with.
It appears that you have tried to display 3 photos, but only one appears. On the one that is showing, it is not clear to me what it represents, or even which way is up. Photos that show the situation may lead to a more useful response.

Last edited:

Babsie Wagner

Reaction score
Have you heard about the new sealed bottom, watertight toilet flange that's out? I just heard about it. It actually has channels where the water will go right back down the drain. Very innovative!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks