Toilet Flange Removal Question

Users who are viewing this thread

LittleBlueTruck

Reaction score
I am remodeling my bathroom and need to remove the original (cast iron) toilet flange to install the new subfloor. From what I've heard, removing the flange from the pipe is not trivial.

My question is whether I might be better off removing the whole drain pipe which runs straight down into an unfinished basement below the bathroom (I've attached a picture below). If this is preferable, would I unscrew the cast-iron pipe (is that even possible) and screw a new PVC section into the existing fitting? Or, would I cut the cast iron pipe and put in a new piece using a coupler?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 267

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
REmoving the cast iron flange is probably the easiest job you will ever undertake. Place a cold chisel against the flange on one side where the bolt slots are and hit it with a hammer a couple of times to split it, then do the same on the other side, then pull the two pieces out. Cut the lead "ring" with a screwdriver and remove it and the oakum

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks