Toilet Flange Recessed 1 1/8" Below Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Lots to Learn

Reaction score
I'm helping a neighbor replace her toilet. The top of the flange sits about 1 1/8" below the surface of the tile floor. This is quite a bit more than I've been reading about for folks with this same problem. How would you handle this? I was thinking maybe either flange extenders or the Fluidmaster waxless gasket. I tried a Fernco waxless but it wasn't long enough. Would the Fluidmaster waxless be long enough?

TIA

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1-1/8"?

The last one like that, I tried the white plastic stacking rings.
And then after that leaked for a while, we went back, and cut out the flange entirely, bringing it above the floor by a bit.

I"m not a big fan of the stacking lifts.

Is this on a radiant floor?

For you plumbers out there. I would have been better off, just stopping and insisting that the homeowner needed additional plumbing work.
If you need to do that much additional work, you should get paid for it.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, I wish them luck with that tiled floor, it is not the preferred installation. 1/4" luan is never a good thing underneath tile, nor is (potentially) cushioned sheet material. Hopefully, they at least installed the cbu over thinset.

If they can deal with a new flange from beneath, that would be best. You'd have to read the instruction sheet on the Fluidmaster to see the max they would fit...it might work.

Lots to Learn

Reaction score
Yeah, the tile is cracking in places. Anyway, cost is an issue in this case but I would also hate to risk a leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks