Toilet flange question

Users who are viewing this thread

chuckd83

Reaction score
I'm remodeling the master bathroom and just finished tiling. The toilet sewer pipe sticks out a little bit and I'm wondering what toilet flange would work best and how to attach it. Images attached. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_5349.JPG
    IMG_5349.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_5350.JPG
    IMG_5350.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 137

Reach4

Reaction score
That looks like lead. Lead is formable within limits, but with some amount of bending, it is going to break. How wrinkly is the pipe inside where the plastic sheet is wadded?

I am not a pro. I would be thinking in terms of a PushTite flange with a stainless steel ring if I could find one that fits. http://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/pushtite There are other similar flanges. You can measure and research sizes.

I would be thinking about using some wax or thick silicone grease to fill in irregularities around the rubber gasketing.

I presume you are on a slab or have some other situation that makes putting in new pipes down below the floor difficult.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
If you can cut/grind down or remove the part that sticks out above the tile, the "Pushtite" flange Reach4 linked to would be a good fix. You would want to drill through the tile in a couple of places to screw the new flange down to the floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the Push-tite does not seem to get a good surface to put its gasket rings against, the classic solution is to use a brass closet flange ring. This would get soldered to the lead, or you might just be able to bend the lead. I suggest a plumber experienced in working lead would be worthwhile. If you try to solder it, you might melt the lead.

toilet-flange-brass-deep.jpg
000055.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Internal compression fits for a flange seal are not likely to work well with a lead riser...they work fine on cast iron or plastic pipe which is rigid enough and round. LEad tends to get distorted and is malleable, so compression seals don't work as well. If you can't bend the lead around the bronze/brass flange, the correct thing to do is to replace the lead riser with either new lead, or transition to plastic (or CI). Then, you have lots of options. Old lead like that tends to split when you try to bend it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks