Toilet Flange Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Scungilli

Reaction score
IMG_3509.jpg

Hi, I would like some advice regarding my toilet flange situation. I tore out the old tile floor yesterday, and this is what I found. My house was built in 1971, flipped in 2002 (when I bought it), and sits on a concrete slab. It seems to be a 3" copper waste line, or possibly just a copper sleeve that sits into cast iron, but I'm not certain. It appears that they just made a few cuts in the top of the copper and bent it over to secure it. I'm going to tile the floor and want the flange sitting on top of the finished tile. Also, the 20 year old 4110 Cadet toilet just barely fits, and it's a 10" rough in; all 3 toilets in my house are. I'm looking to see what people would recommend I use for a flange in this situation.
Thanks for any assistance.
Vinny

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would consider Hydroseat above the finished floor. Wax goes beneath it.

I presume you are on a slab based on the photo. So I think alternatives would involve breaking up concrete. If I am wrong, and there is a crawlspace or basement beneath, there are other possibilities.

For a 10 inch rough, there are good toilets available. I would expect that a newer Cadet would be better design than a 20-year old toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes I will use a repair flange that fits inside the old pipe. Everybody makes a 10" toilet, so even though that limits some of your options, it's still okay.

oatey-twist-n-set-terrylove-1.jpg

Scungilli

Reaction score
I would consider Hydroseat above the finished floor. Wax goes beneath it.

I presume you are on a slab based on the photo. So I think alternatives would involve breaking up concrete. If I am wrong, and there is a crawlspace or basement beneath, there are other possibilities.

For a 10 inch rough, there are good toilets available.
Thanks for the reply. I am on a concrete slab, and I will put the Cadet toilet I removed back on again once the tiles are down. I just don't know which flange I should use as a better option, and hopefully one that won't change the rough-in at all since it's a tight fit as it is.

Scungilli

Reaction score
Sometimes I will use a repair flange that fits inside the old pipe. Everybody makes a 10" toilet, so even though that limits some of your options, it's still okay.

oatey-twist-n-set-terrylove-1.jpg
Thanks Terry, I had been looking at the twist-n-set too. If I install that on top of my finished tile and use Tapcons into the concrete, I should be ok?
I looked it up on Lowes and it seems that a few people had issues with this working with the wax ring for some reason...

Last edited:

Scungilli

Reaction score
IMG_3545.jpg

Tiled and grouted over the last couple of days, and just wanted to add a few follow up pictures of the flange installed with Tapcon screws (one snapped off) and a standard wax ring. Seems to be working pretty good, and the Cadet toilet fits well with just about a notch over 9 inches to the closet bolts. Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

• IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3547.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 117

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks nice. For the Tapcons it is important to drill deeper than the screw will end up and to blow the dust out before inserting the screw.

What closet flange is that?

Scungilli

Reaction score
Looks nice. For the Tapcons it is important to drill deeper than the screw will end up and to blow the dust out before inserting the screw.

What closet flange is that?
Thanks, it's the one Terry recommended called Twist-N-Set, and it's used with a standard wax ring. The broken screw is my fault. I actually drilled all 4 holes the same depth with the vacuum running to get all the dust out, but that last screw was one I had removed from a previous job I did at my home, and it had some residue on it. It must have been weakened by the past use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks