Toilet flange nightmare

Users who are viewing this thread

Benben1

Reaction score
Terry I hope you can help me with a model number for my closet flange. I am unable to locate any after searching for several days. My old toilet flange spigot measures 3.5 outside and 3 inside diameter. It goes into a 3 inch coupling not the pipe. The height from top of flange to bottom of spigot is 2.25 to 2.5, it was hard to measure as my old one is in many small pieces. I did find one flange but it only had a 2 inch height, a little to short. The pipe and coupler have a concrete circle around it and a new tile floor. Sadly there is no way to dig the pipe up to change the configuration. The old flange was all PVC. I would like to go back with that and not the metal ringed ones but will if necessary. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Oatey 43585 3" spigot all-pvc closet flange shows overall height of 2.30" but that might be largely due to the thick plastic ring.

You would have an option of gluing in a pipe segment into your hub and using a 3 inch inside flange into that.

Could you then put a PushTite 888-GPM into that and have the gasket hit in a good place?

neorest-install-03.jpg

These come in ABS and PVC

I suspect the tail would be too long for you. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ng-3x4-lead-drain-pipe-on-3-steel-pipe.60569/ #10 shows dimensions for a no-longer-available PushTite inside 3-inch flange with a stainless ring. I don't know the similar dimensions of the now-available version.

You might want to take the rag out, and shoot a photo. That might help attract attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I replace all PVC toilets flanges frequently. They break when someone leans on the toilet at the wrong angle or bumps it with their knee. A flange with a stainless ring is what we replace them with.

Reach4

Reaction score
I replace all PVC toilets flanges frequently. They break when someone leans on the toilet at the wrong angle or bumps it with their knee. A flange with a stainless ring is what we replace them with.
Do you instead use a repair ring on the failed plastic, if you have space?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We often will add a repair ring to hold the closet bolts securely. We have installed hundreds and hundreds, and the main requirement of any toilet install, is secure closet bolts, and making sure the bowl is flat to the floor, shims sometimes needed. Then clear caulking, leaving back of the bowl open as per code in Washington, so that if there is a seal leak, it's spotted quickly. I use PolySeamSeal clear, goes on white and dries clear, but if it gets wet again, reverts back to white. A really good indicator if there is a problem.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want to replace what was there, sounds like you need a extended 3" spigot end closet flange. E.g something like one of these:

https://ipscorp.com/plumbing/brands/water-tite/closet-flanges/long-closet-flange/
https://canplas.com/plumbing/ct_product/193617ss/

You can cut the spigot end to the length you need as long as you 1-1/4" + engagement in the coupling. Note the second one has a bell shape on the underside of the ring, so you'd need to have extra clearance in the tiled floor for that. The first one looks similar, not sure.

I haven't looked very hard, there may be a similar style available with a sharp inside corner on the underside.

Cheers, Wayne

Benben1

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for giving me direction on my closet flange. Originally I tried to find the one made by ipscorp but could only find bulk suppliers. Luckily I came across SupplyHouse.com and they have an extended spigot made to fit in a 3 inch coupling or hub. Raven was the brand. It has a 3.5 inch OD. I cut spigot length to fit and problem solved! I will post the link if anyone else has the same issue. Thanks again!
http://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=3ST6PVC

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for giving me direction on my closet flange. Originally I tried to find the one made by ipscorp but could only find bulk suppliers. Luckily I came across SupplyHouse.com and they have an extended spigot made to fit in a 3 inch coupling or hub. Raven was the brand. It has a 3.5 inch OD.
Good find. They made it harder to find by not using "spigot" in the description.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks