Toilet Flange - Jumbo vs Two wax rings

Users who are viewing this thread

Davidhmd

Reaction score
Our waste line recently backup and the toilet leaked at the base. After we clear the backup, can I prevent future leaks with a better seal?

My flange is tilted, 3/8" low on left and 3/8" to 1/2" high on right (relative to the top of the finished floor). Floor is sheet vinyl over concrete slab.

Last time, it was installed with one wax ring. The wax seemed somewhat depressed on the low side and didn't bottom out on the high side.

Should I use one Oatey Jumbo wax ring or two wax rings?

Several other posts mentions two rings. Are two rings better than a jumbo?

This toilet will get plunged hard. It doesn't clog often, but when it does I have to plunge it hard to get a good seal bc the bottom of the bowl is almost triangular (Kohler Wellworth).

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. What I would do is to mold a ring by hand to make the top of the wax maybe 7/8 above the floor level. This is likely to take the wax from two rings. I would wear nitrile gloves so that I did not have to clean wax from my hands. Measure your toilet with a straight edge and ruler to see if 7/8 is a good height.

Maybe better would be to first mold wax to make the top of the wax be 3/8 above the floor. Then put a ring with horn atop that.

As always, position the shims before having the wax in place. Lift the toilet, mold the wax, and then drop the toilet.

Another alternative would be to have a Danco Hydroseat, and shape the wax below that.

Regarding plunging, that should be rare. When you blow out wax during plunging, that would usually be when the soil pipe below is clogged. Look up prior plunging suggestions where you set up a resonant vibration to get things loose in the first part of the plunging.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Jumbo is a fine choice if conditions dictate. We evaluate case by case taking all factors into consideration. You really have to mold and massage double wax to not have too much ooze out or shift.

Nebojsa

Reaction score
Question. When using two rings is there a proper way of installing. Would you install the wax ring with the horn first and then the second ring on top or do you go with the wax ring first and then the wax ring with the horn on top.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's really no reason to use a horned wax ring at all ever. The horn doesn't do anything.. I got that in an email from a toilet wax manufacturer.

When I need to add wax to a ring, its usually only a small amount. I cut the wax in half laterally so that I have a half wax. I then mold that to the top of my regular wax ring. If I had to go any higher than that I prefer to add extensions to the flange rather than have a huge build up of wax.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks