Toilet flange is level w/ finished tile floor

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffV

Reaction score
and not sitting on top of it as it should. Will a normal wax ring fail to seal in this situation (its only 1/4" off), and if so which is the best way to deal w/ this:
  1. Stack 2 wax rings
  2. Use an extra thick wax ring
  3. Use a pvc flange extender

Also, are the wax rings w/ plastic horns bad news?

Thanks for any suggestions - Jeff

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the pros would use two wax rings from what I read. ME, I'd consider that or a waxless ring...they have a horn built in. The combination of wax and a ring can be problematic, and since the plastic doesn't seal well if it slips a little because then the wax can't make the seal, yes, they can be a problem. Probablhy for other reasons as well.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
JeffV said:
and not sitting on top of it as it should. Will a normal wax ring fail to seal in this situation (its only 1/4" off), and if so which is the best way to deal w/ this:
  1. Stack 2 wax rings
  2. Use an extra thick wax ring
  3. Use a pvc flange extender

Also, are the wax rings w/ plastic horns bad news?

Thanks for any suggestions - Jeff

For 1/4" I'd just go with the thicker wax ring. If you can feel it squishing down when you seat the base of the toilet, you're in business. If you feel like you've bottomed out, use one of the other techniques you mentioned.

I personally only use the horned wax ring and have never had a leak. If nothing else, they are easier on the next guy, because they generally come off in one piece with minimal scraping. And who doesn't hate scraping that nasty germy wax.;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks