Toilet flange installation on concrete basement floor advice

Users who are viewing this thread

yzman720

Reaction score
I have a basement bathroom that I have decided to finish. The rough in has a 3 inch pipe sticking up for the toilet. (pic below) I was curious the proper way to install the flange? I will cut the pipe off flush with the concrete. I have tile already installed around the pipe as you can see in the picture. I have 2 options 1.) install the brass flange by just tap conning it to the floor and then set the wax ring and toilet or 2.) Install the glue in style flange and then tap con that one down. I am confused if I use the glue in style or just the brass style? Is one way proper or another? Thanks in advance for any and all help

Attachments

• IMG_7831.JPG
    IMG_7831.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 9,564

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You would want a flange that goes to the outside of the drain pipe for best flush performance but it doesn't look possible from your pictures. There are flanges that go on the inside that has a gasket for sealing instead of gluing. Should the flange ever break you just pull it out to replace but the flush performance maybe compromised.

Start at 1:50 of video.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Because the concrete was poured up tight to the riser, you are stuck with using a flange with a spigot that fits inside of the pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would not use EITHER. The proper way would be to chisel an annular ring around the pipe so the proper flange can be glued to the outside of the pipe. Incidentally, a REAL plumber would have installed a sleeve to MAKE the annular ring.

yzman720

Reaction score
Dumb question.....If the outlet of the toilet is only 2 inches what difference does it make if the flange is being glued inside or outside of the 3imch pvc?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks