Toilet Flange Install

Users who are viewing this thread

slippy field

Reaction score
I've been told it should be 12.5" on center from the stud. I'm a little worried about it being too short (tank hitting the wall) or possibly too long, tank too far from the way. But if it was an inch away from the wall and not 1/3" that wouldn't be the end of the world. I've seen these offset flanges and was wondering can you buy different lengths of offset or are they like a standard length? 2"?

closet_flange_offset.jpg

1-1/2" offset

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is the proper distance from the wall. Not sure why you say, "on center from the stud" though, We usually state the rough in as 12" from the finished wall. Many folks are a bit confused by rough in measurements. A toilet rated as a 12" rough in, actually needs less than that. (Never more than) This allows for a bit of space behind the toilet as well as a flange that is set an inch or so less than 12". While we are at it, the flange is supposed to set on top of the finished floor...not recessed below.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There are a few toilets that take the whole 12", but those are relatively-rare. Most Totos have about 3/4" behind them when installed on exactly 12", but not all.

Gary is correct that you measure the rough-in from the finished wall (i.e. once you have painted, wallpapered, tiled, whatever, but not including any base molding) it should be 12" to the centerline of the flange from the finished wall.

And Gary is correct that you want to mount the flange on top of the finished floor (i.e. once you have laid down all the tile or whatnot). The base of the flange will rest on top of the floor and be secured through the finished floor to the underfloor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the brand and model of toilet, it will have a varying amount of space behind it when mounted on a correct, standard rough-in. THe most common rough-in in the USA is 12" from the FINISHED wall. Your 12-1/2" assumes it has 1/2" drywall on it (baseboards don't count unless they are excessively tall). That may or may not be the case - for instance, should you decide you want to tile the wall or put up wainscoating, 12-1/2" from the stud may NOT be enough.

slippy field

Reaction score
I meant 12.5" from the framed wall. I'm not 100% sure what my finished floor on top of the cement slab will be. I've just seen things that say have the flange flush with the cement slab and I've read others that say leave it 1/2" up above the cement to slide your finished floor under.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Whatever you have read, here is the actual answer: (1) The centerline of the flange shall be 12" from the finished surface of the adjacent wall; (2) The flange shall be mounted on top of the finished floor and secured to the subfloor.

Simple. Easy peasy.

Accomplishing this involves interplay between the various trades. The tile guy wants to have the flange mounted on the subfloor so that the plumber can leave and he can tile around it. That is, however, not going to give you the flange mounted as it should be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks