toilet flange basement too low - need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

bwood

Reaction score
I am planing to raise my basement floor to install radiant heat piping in between 2x4 sleepers. This will raise my finished floor about 2 inches. Is there another option out there to raise the height of the toilet flange besides tearing out the concrete and raising it.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oatey makes flange extenders that are 1/4" and 1/2". I'm not sure if you can use several of the 1/2" extenders on top of each other and still get a good seal. I'm sure one of the pros would know that.

If your pipe is PVC, you may be able to use an internal pipe cutter to cut out your old flange and glue in a new one that is the right height.

Attachments

• Flange Extender Kit.jpg
    Flange Extender Kit.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 3,201
  • internal-pipe-cutters.jpg
    internal-pipe-cutters.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 910

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've had a couple of jobs in which I had to replace toilet flanges in slab floors. The first one took me about two hours. The second I did a complete job in less than 30 minutes! I used an inside pipe cutter to cut the flange flush with the concrete slab. Then I used a chisel to separate the remaining part of the flange from the PVC pipe. It was a little ragged but that didn't matter. I was very careful not to crack or damage the pvc pipe. I found a flange called "twist 'n seal" which has an expanding rubber ring at the base. It will slip into either a 3" or 4" pipe. On a 4" pipe the rubber ring has to be screwed up on the insert to expand it to a snug fit. I just shoved it in the pipe then twisted till very snug, aligned the toilet bolt holes/slots then used "tapcon" screws to anchor to the concrete floor and VOILA.. a super job and with very little experience...VERY FAST. I think you can stretch this to work on a 2" fill. Worst case, use a concrete drill bit and drill holes very close together around the pipe once the flange is removed, then chisel out around the pipe (a hammer drill really helps) add a coupling and short length of PVC pipe and cut flush to floor then install a flange (or "twist 'n seal) that will slip into the pipe. This is relatively easy if you have PVC. If you've got cast iron pipe you've got a tough job ahead of you.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks