Toilet flange about 1/4" below new floor level

Users who are viewing this thread

Loneriver

Reaction score
I just put in a new laminate floor in my bathroom. Now my floor is about 1/4" taller than the toilet flange. I really want to install correctly because the previous toilet had some type of seal leak at the flange and discolored the surrounding linoleum.

I have purchased two solutions and want to do the one that would be most appropriate for this height difference.

First option: Sioux Chief 1/4" plastic spacer. Using one would get me level. Using two would put the height above the floow. I would put silicone between the spacer and flange and between the spacers if I needed two. I could also wait a few days and buy a single 7/8" spacer from Sioux Chief if that would be better (even though the Sioux Chief website says the thinner ones can be stacked).

Second option: Install double was rings. If this then what sizes/types?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your two ideas will both work, withthe double wax rings (top one with plastic horn) is the common solution.

Saniseal says you can use a single unit where the flange is no more than 3/8 down. When you use wax, you must not lift once you have placed the toilet down. Thus the shims should be in place before dropping the toilet, and possibly withdrawn some, but not inserted farther, once the wax is compressed. With the Saniseal or other waxless offering, you can insert shims. So you don't need to have your technique as practiced.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Another option, which I used (in conjunction with the silicone/spacer idea you presented -- I am a belt + suspenders kind of guy) is the Fernco waxless seal. Here's what the Fernco website says about it:
  • A strong and flexible to sustain a positive seal
  • Ideal for wall carriers and floor mounts
  • Accommodates floors raised above the toilet flange by up to 3/4"
  • Maintains a gas tight seal even when minor movement occurs
  • Fast, easy installation for a long-term solution

SHE-PLMBR

Reaction score
Be careful with any of these wax rings with horns or the fernco ones. After a while they tend to curl and cause problems.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I used the Sani-Seal on a flange that was 1/4" below new tile and it was a perfect fit. It did require some pressing down (my body weight) on the toilet to get toilet seated firmly on tile to tighten down bolts. I really like this product.

Then I bought a second Sani-Seal for use on another toilet where the flange was resting on top the tile, and I could not get the Sani-Seal compressed enough. With all my weight on toilet it would not squish the seal enough that toilet was resting on tile (one side woul dtouch and the other was still 1/4" off the tile and I didn't want to chance breaking the toilet by pulling toilet down that last 1/4" by tightening the mounting bolts) so I threw out the Sani-Seal and used wax on that one.

But for any flange even, or below, the floor, I think the Sani-Seal works great.

Atomic1

Reaction score
I had this same issue in my bathroom renovation and researched all sorts of options. I dont like the sani seal because all it takes is a little nick or chemical attack and the foam turns to mush. The fernco adapter gave little confidence with the adhesive to the bottom of the toilet. Double wax rings can easily blow out if you plunge the toilet.

The spacers are an option in some cases, but not for mine as I had used a moss bay replacement flange ring that isn't planar.

In the end, I went with the danco perfect seal. Worked great and no problems. It can be adapted to different heights and is robust. You're not going to blow it out with plunging for sure. Also, it lets you take the toilet off and reinstall easily.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The Fernco lets you take the toilet up and replace it as well. I've done this several times and no sign of the adhesive weakening. It's on their pretty good.

Handy to be able to paint/paper behind a toilet, to be able to pull and replace it without messing with wax.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just looked at the Danco Perfect Seal on the web. Looks pretty neat. Kind of mixed reviews -- looks like a number of people have had trouble getting it to work when flange is above the floor surface but sounds like it can work well if flange sits lower than the floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
The Fernco lets you take the toilet up and replace it as well. I've done this several times and no sign of the adhesive weakening. It's on their pretty good.
I have read that works on new toilets, but it does not stick to toilets that have used wax previously.

Handy to be able to paint/paper behind a toilet, to be able to pull and replace it without messing with wax.
That is also an advantage of Unifit.

SAS

Reaction score
I just installed 2 Toto toilets using the Korky Wax Free Seal. There are 2 foam rings that can be used together or separately based upon the height of the flange. The instructions are clear and both worked flawlessly; in one case I needed both rings, and in the other only one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks