Toilet drain under slab in Chicago burbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin71246

Reaction score
Im in suburbs but we go by chicago plumbing code. Im roughing in plumbing for a bsmt bathroom. Is a 3" PVC toilet drain pipe under the concrete slab for a toilet code in Chicago or is 4" required? Or 3" only ok for a max distance? I'm only going about 4' but would like to know if distance determines this.

(BTW I know a 2" drain line is the minimum that can be buried under a slab in Chicago, like for a tub - instead of 1.5". So wondered if a toilet is the same where you have to go with the larger size.)

Thanks All & LOVE the forum!!!

Last edited:

Kevin71246

Reaction score
3" is fine for a toilet.
We only need to go to 4" when it's the forth toilet added.

Thank you! I know Chicago is the most anal! :). Ejector pit came with a 4" hole already cut... Should I adapter to 4" at the pit so the grommet that came with it fits? (Else there will be a gap with the 3")

Kevin71246

Reaction score
Appreciate the replies...you guys are the best! Im doing a 2" dry vent to the roof as read somewhere on this forum. Yes, the pit has 2 2" holes on top as well for drain & vent.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You need to vent the pump basin, and the plumbing will need venting before it enters the pit.
The discharge gets a check valve and a shutoff so that you can pull the pump for replacements.

Kevin71246

Reaction score
"The venting before it enters the pit"...is a 2" WET vent ok? In order, I have toilet, 2" coming out of ground for sink from wye, that goes up to roof, and toilet then continues to pit. Then of course pit has a 2" vent from lid that goes to roof.

Kevin71246

Reaction score
Ignore the elbows on top (to prevent crap falling in). But u can see pit (left under buckets) which will have vent & discharge at lid, 2" sink vertical stub out (that will tie in to ejector vent & continue & vent to roof), & shower at right.

Attachments

• 20180314_204859.jpg
    20180314_204859.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 203

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You forgot to mention you had a tub/shower drain connected to the toilet drain BEFORE the vent. That does NOT work, unless the smaller drain also is separately vented.

Kevin71246

Reaction score
I thought you could connect a shower drain without it's own vent if it's within X feet of another vent. Is this not correct?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks