Toilet drain, sanitary tee horizontal

Users who are viewing this thread

clix

Reaction score
I know this isn't to code, but is this toilet going to have problems such that something should be changed before drywall is put back up? (This was installed in this fashion by a licensed plumber due to space limitations.) The line that runs into the sanitary tee before going to the drain is from two sinks. Given the reducer attached to the sanitary tee and the use of the sanitary tee on its side, will waste have a tendency to collect there?

Attachments

• IMG_20170309_202815.jpg
    IMG_20170309_202815.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 3,477

Stuff

Reaction score
What does the inspector say? This is a time when it is beneficial that you have someone else on site to work with your plumber on a solution.

clix

Reaction score
It passed inspection, which maybe indicates I shouldn't have posed the question here. As I've read more about where certain fittings are supposed to be used and why, I just wondered if I was going to have an issue down the road, especially with the reducer where it is.

Stuff

Reaction score
I would ask for it to be fixed.

Speculation: Every time you flush the toilet the waste is going to hit the other side of the san-tee instead of being guided down the drain. Solid waste will sit there a bit longer. The sink should clear it but why put up with possible problems? The codes exist to prevent problems that occur in complex situations that most people haven't imagined. Otherwise it is the "I don't need seat belts because I am a good driver" argument.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It could have gone either way. Our inspectors would NOT have approved it and would have insisted on some other arrangement. What that would have been would depend on factors we cannot tell from your photo.

clix

Reaction score
Thanks, Stuff and hj. Given that it was approved by an inspector, if I want to change this out, I should expect to pay for the change, right? I've attached a picture from directly underneath if that helps with the analysis.

I am assuming that twisting the 1/4 bend counterclockwise (looking up from the bottom) and going straight into a wye into the pre-existing 1/4 bend inside the wall wasn't an option or my plumber would have done that.

The only other way I could see changing the configuration would be twisting the 1/4 bend clockwise , adding an horizontal 1/8 bend (or a 1/4 bend if necessary) into a combo be a better configuration? I was under the impression that that much of a change of direction in a small radius like that was not advisable, but curious if that's a better (ie, less bad) option compared to what I have now.

Thanks again for your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20170310_111527.jpg
    IMG_20170310_111527.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,104

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is no way I would leave that santee there. It should have been a wye fitting.
A santee will spread the solid waste both directions, causing you issues on the 2" pipe coming out of the fitting.
Not in my home or any of my customers. :(
Just so you know, sometimes they hire inspectors that have never plumbed before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks