Toilet Drain - Rough-In Distance from Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

jacksmith7

Reaction score
I know a toilet should be roughed in 12" from the finished wall to center of the drain pipe. Unfortunately, whoever plumbed our new house cut that distance short with the basement rough-in, and only allowed 11". I don't want to use a 10" rough-in toilet and prefer not to use an offset flange. Do most toilet's really require that 12" from finished wall, or can I squeak by with 11"? Thank you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

Yes, some do require less room, but you have to go to a showroom and physically measure the different brands to see if they will fit your space. Normally 11 1/4" is about the shortest dimension for a 12" toilet.

chelsea

Reaction score
It is funny, we both posted within minutes of each other, and apparently have the exact same problem. :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might want to consider redoing the drain. If this is a new house, you could very well have an issue with the plumber if the building specs were not followed.

kingnus

Reaction score
Plumbing toilet:

I have had three new homes built and the plumber always cuts short the 12 inch dim. for the toilet. Any reason you plumbers couldn't make the 12 ruf in a little strong? Say by a quarter of an inch.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes some of the rough plumbing goes in before the walls are up...some of the blame might be on the framers.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Or, a floor joist might be just where the toilet flange needs to be. As stated above it's the framers fault!:D

If you look at the specs for toilets you will see a drawing showing the measurements. These show a distance off the wall the toilet is intended to sit. You can use this distance to shoehorn a 12" rough in toilet into a smaller rough in. As Terry stated the Drake is a good example as it has a 1 1/8" space between it and the wall in a 12" rough. You just need to be carefull because the base on some toilets may be the same or less distance and if baseboard is involved it could conflict.http://www.totousa.com/admin/upload/pdfspc/s-cst744sl-1202.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks