Toilet bowl continues to fill after flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

Shobuddy

Reaction score
I'm a plumbing novice. I noticed the toilet bowls in my home continue to fill with water after flushing and they only stop filling when the tank is full. Is this normal behavior? I ask because shortly after flushing, the bowl is full and the continued filling of the bowl is a waste of water since its just emptying out/clearing the overflow as it fills.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You could replace the refill tube with something like this: https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/fill-valves/215-water-saving-roller-clamp-refill-tube/
215_WaterSavingRefilTubeClip_Package_530x530-150x150.png

You didn't need to shout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shobuddy

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't realize it was bold. I'll look into that option. This is a new construction home about a year old so I figure it is operating as it should. Moreover, is the way it functions normal?
What is the toilet? Some fill valves have an adjustable refill, and cutting down the refill is a matter of turning a screw. Some could have a pinch clamp such as the Fluidmaster.

Normal is for the bowl to get filled to its max a few seconds before the tank gets filled and shuts off the water flow. How many seconds is yours early? Then the water level might drop just a bit as the water settles down to the "weir" height.

Shobuddy

Reaction score
What is the toilet? Some fill valves have an adjustable refill, and cutting down the refill is a matter of turning a screw. Some could have a pinch clamp such as the Fluidmaster.

Normal is for the bowl to get filled to its max a few seconds before the tank gets filled and shuts off the water flow. How many seconds is yours early? Then the water level might drop just a bit as the water settles down to the "weir" height.

Thank you for the response. I will take a video and post it this evening.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Different manufacturers use different methods to balance the bowl/tank refill ratio. Some use a restrictor to get the balance correct. Ideally, both the bowl and the tank would reach full at exactly the same time. A toilet won't flush properly if the bowl doesn't start full, but if it ends up being overfilled, it is just wasted water since it just immediately goes down the drain. You need to be careful when replacing the fill valve to keep that balance to retain the economy and performance.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
FWIW, it appears that in the picture, the water level is right at the inscribed water line. Now, if it continues to rise, that's not a level issue, that's a valve seal issue. I do not know if that brand/type has a replaceable seal, but if not, then you should consider replacing the fill valve with a new one. If a valve previously worked, and now the level is higher, the seal is failing...replace the seal or the valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here's an image of the tank. Can you tell if the refill valve can be adjusted?
https://ibb.co/dFZRrR
That appears to have a Mansfield 2206 fill valve. That does not appear to have an adjustable refill. So you could get hold of that Fluidmaster 215 and adjust with that.

Another possibility is to use something like the Fluidmaster Flush 'n Sparkle. It will add a little back pressure. That is normally a downside, but for you that could be a plus. Kaboom makes a similar unit, and it is easier to refill its chemical without having to buy a cartridge. The point of these is to squirt some bleach or cleaner down the overflow tube with each flush to help keep the bowl clean.

Shobuddy

Reaction score
The water level was almost to the top of the overflow so I adjusted it to about an inch below the overflow. It still flushes fine and I'm happy with the adjustment. Thank you for all the information. Learned a few things.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
FWIW, the fill level doesn't really change over time unless the seal is failing. Lowering it is a temporary solution...lowering it causes the float to exert more pressure to cause the valve to shut off. When it eventually fails, you'll need to readjust the height back where it was. That extra pressure can eventually damage the seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks