Toilet constantly filling slowly

Users who are viewing this thread

brickwall99

Reaction score
Last night I was testing the shut off valve to make sure it worked as we are going out of town for a few days and someone is going to be house sitting with our dogs.

Well I noticed that when I shut it off it does not completely shut off the water to the tank, it still starts filling up very slowly. Well I opened it all the way back up and now the tank is still trying to fill up slowly. The water slowly increases until it starts going in to the overflow tube. The water level in the tank seems to be fine after a flush, about 1/2 inch below the overflow tube. You constantly hear that "running" noise too, although it's pretty faint.

Can a leaky shut off valve cause this problem? Or is it more likely something wrong with the fill valve that's broken?

brickwall99

Reaction score
They tank/bowl are also taking up to 3-4 minutes to completely fill now. It used to take about 1 minute. When I first noticed the problem it was still filling up at it's normal speed. It still seems to flush ok though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is speculation, but I think the washer in the shutoff at the wall came apart when you tried to turn it off, and some bits are now caught in the toilet's fill valve, preventing it from shutting off. I'd suggest replacing the shutoff at the wall with a new 1/4-turn valve (no washer to break up when it gets old), and either cleaning, or replacing the fill valve in the toilet. Sometimes, depending on the model, you can just flush them out and they have a replaceable seal that is usually cheap. Some don't, and it's easier to replace the whole thing. If you have galvanized steel piping anywhere in the system, shutting things off, then turning them back on can dislodge a bunch of rust particles, so it could be one or the other or both.

The ability to flush has nothing to do with how fast it refills, as the water to flush comes from that stored in the tank.

brickwall99

Reaction score
This is speculation, but I think the washer in the shutoff at the wall came apart when you tried to turn it off, and some bits are now caught in the toilet's fill valve, preventing it from shutting off. I'd suggest replacing the shutoff at the wall with a new 1/4-turn valve (no washer to break up when it gets old), and either cleaning, or replacing the fill valve in the toilet. Sometimes, depending on the model, you can just flush them out and they have a replaceable seal that is usually cheap. Some don't, and it's easier to replace the whole thing. If you have galvanized steel piping anywhere in the system, shutting things off, then turning them back on can dislodge a bunch of rust particles, so it could be one or the other or both.

The ability to flush has nothing to do with how fast it refills, as the water to flush comes from that stored in the tank.

Hi jadnashua, thanks for the reply.

I recently moved in to this house so I'm not sure yet where the main line water shut off is, so I'll need to locate that. I've never worked on toilets or attempted something like this, but I am familiar with tools and working on mechanical things. Do you think changing out the shut off valve is something I can do myself or should I get a plumber? Any idea how much it might cost for me to do myself, or for a plumber to do it?

I do have a home warranty right now, so for $75 I could have them come out and do whatever is necessary.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, the parts are probably about $25 for a new shutoff valve, hose to the filler valve, filler valve, and maybe flapper valve. You may not need all of that. Then, you'd have all new parts there. It depends on how the shutoff valve is attached to the wall. If it is a compression valve, it's pretty easy. If it is threaded on, normally, it can be easy, but sometimes it can unscrew in the wall and give you a leak you didn't know about. If it is soldered on, then if you've never done that, probably good get a plumber do it. Soldering isn't all that hard, but it would take purchase of additional tools and some practice. Better to do it where you aren't standing on your head on some practice bits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks