Toilet Clogged Need Assistance

Users who are viewing this thread

Depre

Reaction score
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post, I'm new to Forums. Anyway here's my problem. The other day my son dropped a small paper cup filled with hardened wax into the toilet. Now its completely clogged. I've tried using a regular plunger in combination with a snake. But it still won't unclog. Any ideas? :confused:

How to auger a toilet

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A Ridgid or, General closet auger with a drop head may be able to grap it or, chew through it. In all reality the toilet probably has to be lifted from it's setting and worked from both ends to get it out.

auger_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Depre

Reaction score
I see. I've been looking around the web and I've been told that i could put boiling water into the toilet to melt the wax. But I'm concerned it won't work because its in the paper cup. If it comes down to it i suppose I'll have to work on it from both sides. (Any alternatives)??

Depre

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. That was what i would have tried next. *I'm a little tired now* I've been plunging for a half hour now. Won't work. maybe I'll try getting that drop head. Hopefully i can tear through it.

Depre

Reaction score
I'm going to take the toilet off now to see if i can get it out.
Anyway I'm worried if its not in the toilet anymore.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
While pulling a toilet up is probably not the most enjoyable way to spend an afternoon, it really isn't overly difficult. First thing to do is shut off the incoming water supply and remove the caulking around the base of the toilet. Then flush or dip out as much water in the tank and bowl as possible, then sponge or vacuum out the rest (using a wet/dry vac) Now disconnect the supply hose from either the tank or the cut off valve. Remove the decorative caps on each side of the base of the toilet to expose the nuts and washers on the flange bolts and remove these nuts. If the nuts and bolts were not brass or stainless steel, they may be difficult to remove and even break when twisted, but they are easy to replace. Once these nuts are removed, the toilet is being held by just the wax ring. Rock the toilet to break this seal and the toilet can be lifted up until it is clear of the flange bolts. You should have several old towels on the floor as there is usually some water left that will run out when the toilet is put on its side as well as gooey remains of the wax ring. With the toilet on its side, you can work from the bottom. I'd clean off the old wax before starting. Clean the flange too. Paint thinner and paper towels will be helpful in the final clean up. After clearing the clog, reset the toilet pretty much in reverse of removal. If those flange bolts need replacing, and the likely will, pay a little extra and get stainless steel. At least don't get coated "rust resistant" bolts. These will corrode eventually. You will need a new wax ring. Avoid the ones with the plastic horn, and use a plain Jane ring. Now the most critical step is the actual placement of the toilet on to the flange. It really requires at least two people because it musts be set straight down, first over the flange bolts and then with the horn on the base of the toilet entering the wax ring square. It sometimes helps to put an extra nut on the flange bolts first to hold the bolts vertical and prevent them from moving. There is plenty of room between the flange and the toilet to do this, but again use stainless steel nuts. Once the toilet is in contact with the ring, use body weight to press the toilet into the ring. A slight twisting will help. You need to make sure the base of the toilet is in complete contact with the floor. Install the washers and nuts on the flange bolts. These should be tightened just to the point of being snug. There purpose is to hold the toilet down, not to pull the toilet down into the ring. Overtightening can break the toilet. Finally, reconnect the supply line and turn the water on. A little floor clean up and caulking around the base of the toilet will complete the job.

Depre

Reaction score
Thanks!! I'm done and finished. The toilet works again and I've successfully recovered the poo-covered cup and wax.
I really appreciate it.:D

Depre

Reaction score
I took the toilet off, then used the auger to push it out. It took a while but worked. (I actually had an auger) so it worked out nicely.
Only had to spent four dollars wax ring.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks