Toilet clog. Tried almost everything

Users who are viewing this thread

ashley968

Reaction score
The other day our toilet, when flushed, started filling right to the brim of overflowing and then very slowly going down. Never taking anything like toilet paper, etc down with it.

We plunged it and it would work. Until the next time. Then we got a new and better plunger and this instant plumber thing and pretty much got the se result.

Yesterday we bought an auger and it seems to go all the way through with some effort and then I started reading forums and doing research so I started messing around with the water level in the tank because it was below the water level line.

I also did this thing where you boil 3 big pots of water and dump it from a standing position as to rush it through. At one point in doing that all the water in the toilet rushed down like I had cleared a clog..

It was flushing at normal speed, the water was sitting at a normal level and staying at a normal level and didn't rise like it had been. I seemed to have fixed it.

Skip to this morning and the exact same thing is happening.

The thing I don't get is, we can fix it, get it running properly and it just keeps happening.

I don't really want to call a plumber unless I absolutely have to. It's Christmas and really don't have the money.

If anyone has any ideas or this sounds familiar or knows a plumber that would give us some tips on how to possibly do this ourselves.

Please and thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pouring "boiling" water down a bowl melts the wax seal. I'm not a fan of that.
Pouring cold water into the bowl sometimes works though.

If you continue to have clogs, you may have something lodged in the trapway. The standard auger with a 7/8" end may not push the problem out. It's too small for some objects. You may need to pull the bowl and work from the other end.
The auger we use, has a 1-5/8" end on it.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Keep pouring boiling water down the toilet and you won't have to worry about a plugged up toilet because you will have CRACKED one. There are many things that could be wrong and the ALL have the same symptoms so we would have to be there to do a test to determine what is the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Do pour maybe 4 or 5 gallons of water from the tap from as high as you can readily do as fast as the toilet will take it into the center of the bowl. A large plastic waste paper basket can be a good thing to hold the water.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forums.

Are you on a septic tank ?

Good Luck on your project.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Aslye,

How long have you had this toilet?
What type of toilet is it?
Do you have small children?
Do you keep articles on top of the tank lid that can inadvertently fall down into the toilet?
Have you changed to a different toilet paper recently?

ashley968

Reaction score
Aslye,

How long have you had this toilet?
What type of toilet is it?
Do you have small children?
Do you keep articles on top of the tank lid that can inadvertently fall down into the toilet?
Have you changed to a different toilet paper recently?

It's an American standard toilet. It was here when we moved in. So it's well over 6 years old... My guess is over 15. We do have a 1.5 year old... I'm aware of the probability in that being the issue. We don't keep things on top of the toilet and we don't keep the bathroom door open because of our little guy. But it's still possible. I have been buying this charmin "velour" toilet paper recently. Maybe that's it? Should I stick to the cheap tissue paper type stuff?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't have the best toilet in the world, but it still should work. Best thing to do at this point is to get a plumber that can snake the drain. Don't waste you time and money with a DIY snake. They are too small. The pro snakes are too dangerous for a novice, so you need a pro. Also, the TP you are using has too much rag content and if you use too much, that can clog a toilet. Best paper seems to be a single ply soft variety. Most stores have a house brand that will work great.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HAVING a closet auger, if that is what you bought is not the same a having the correct one OR knowing how to use it. A plumber can determine whether it is the toilet or the drain line that is obstructed. Usually, if the water does not come up in the shower or tub, it is the toilet itself with the problem.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Yes, it's probably the toilet paper. Try Scott Tissue 1000 sheet single ply, instead.

TPA

Reaction score
Really sounds like your clog is down the pipes somewhere. I'm personally a fan of the "take a 5 gallon bucket and pour it in as fast as you can" method. It could well be that you have tree roots growing though the main line as well.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Yes, it's probably the toilet paper. Try Scott Tissue 1000 sheet single ply, instead.

That is what I use.

It may be harder on your ass and girl parts, but it is good for the septic system, and will not plug it up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks