Toilet clog or blocked vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pauliep

Reaction score
I recently had a full bathroom installed in my basement. The toilet will act like it is clogged and not empty when flushed (even with flushed with no solids), but then flush fine after waiting some time (10 minutes), then it will act clogged again (even with no solids added), flush fine, repeat. This makes me think there is a partial clog, but I found nothing using a toilet auger. At the same time, the sink and shower ALWAYS gurgle when the toilet is flushed, which sounds like a blocked vent. My questions are: could a clog in the toilet waste line cause the vent to be blocked (i.e. should I get the waste line snaked)? Or is it a blocked vent that is causing the toilet to back up (i.e. should I try to clean my vents)? Also, is it possible that the bathroom was installed with no venting even though it passed inspection by my county (Montgomery County MD)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can remove the p-trap on the lav and check to see how the toilet flushes and if the shower drain gurgles.
If they improve, add an AAV betwen the wall and the p-trap on the lav.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks