Toilet clean out requirement for upper floors

Users who are viewing this thread

Kaptainkw

Reaction score
Folks:

Hoping to get a clear answer on if a clean out is required for a main line (toilet) on upper floors in a home. Depending on codes (e.g. IPC or UPC) and change of horizontal direction >45 or 135 deg., triggers a clean out but there is an exception in 707 "Excepting the building drain, its horizontal branches, and urinals, a cleanout shall not be required on a pipe or piping that is above the floor level of the lowest floor of the building."

So am I correct that I do NOT need a clean out above the lowest floor?

Many thanks!

Kaptainkw

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the clarification!

I'm running a new horizontal line between joists and want the option for a hard ceiling.

4" x 3" closet bend, -> ~4' to a downward 45 -> into a long sweep 90 deg. -> ~4' to the main stack. Short run... just 90 deg. of turn.

Kaptainkw

Reaction score
So just to be clear... An upper floor main line (serving a toilet) with less than 45/135 deg. change in direction does not need a clean out, but a main line with a change in direction >45/135 deg. regardless of location, does need a clean out?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks