Toilet Cast Iron drain replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

JorRa

Reaction score
Hi all,
New poster on the forum, been lurking a bit. I have an upstairs toilet that was leaking. Long story short, there is a hole in the lead bend so it needs to be removed. Cast pipe is 4". It had been worked on before based on cut planks when I tore the floor off..The hubs of the cast sit proud of the floor joist so I want to get those out. I am thinking of cutting the section between the 45 degree elbow and the stack and then replace with 1/8" per foot pitched 3" PVC and a shielded Fernco on the remaining cast pipe.

My main question is, will a horizontal 45 degree PVC elbow cause problems or should I do two 22.5 degree elbows for less of a tight turn? is there a better option for this bend? Toilet needs to stay where it is.Thanks!

upload_2021-10-22_8-19-31.jpeg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is no problem using a 45 there.
Measure the old cast, sometimes it's more of a copper size, 4-1/8" OD
I sometimes use a copper to plastic coupling there.

JorRa

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

Another question.... I got the PVC in but the closet bend inlet is not quite level, about 1/16" to 3/32" out of level being lower on the back side. If I put a 1/4" pitch on the long pipe, i can get it level but from what I read, that will be too much pitch. What would you do, live with an 1/8" pitch and slightly out of level flange, 1/4" pitch and level flange, or start over to get a 1/8" pitch and level flange?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks