Toilet bubbling

Users who are viewing this thread

Sweet Lou

Reaction score
My mom's got an older toilet that overflowed last weekend, I plunged it and it drained fine but every since then it lets out one bubble upon flushing then more smaller bubbles follow after that. I have tried everything from plunging. Clearing out the air vent, C02 Kleer Drain, Zep Toilet Care tune up and today I even pulled the toilet and snaked and water hosed the pipe running from the floor down to the sewer, nothing came up and I never felt any resistance. I reattached the toilet and sure enough still bubbled up. I will try and attach a vid of the bubbling. Any help/info would be appreciated. My mom and sister are on there way now to pick up an new toilet as I type this, she needs a comfort toilet as she is elderly so I figured what the Hell, might as well try that!!!! The old toilet is probably 10-15 years old. The tank is big so kinda old.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thbmdpose0mgtyg/2016-09-05 13.03.45.mov?dl=0

Sweet Lou

Reaction score
I just found a small leak in the plumbing, this leak is connected to the sink......could this small of a leak cause the air bubbles I'm seeing ??

Attachments

• IMG_3694.JPG
    IMG_3694.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3697.JPG
    IMG_3697.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 313

Reach4

Reaction score
Older toilet with flushing problem... Unless there is a good reason not to, you are generally going to be better off with a new more modern toilet.

A supply water leak will not cause air bubbles. Since the water is under pressure, air cannot get in.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
That video, to me, shows a problem entirely with the toilet itself, and zero to do with the house plumbing. That bubble is coming out of the siphon jet hole, and you're not getting much action from the siphon jet during the flush. That suggests that something may have stuck up in there during the plunging, or something's crusty up in there, but instead of a rush of water coming out of there as water dumps from the tank to the bowl, you're getting a bubble and a little bit of bubbly flow (and more water than usual going through the rim holes rather than out the siphon jet).

From the toilet cutaway below, you can see that when you flush and water rushes from the tank through the connection to the bowl, gravity causes part of it to run to the rim holes, and part of it is diverted down to the siphon jet hole ("G" in the diagram) to start and continue the siphon that evacuates the bowl. Something is blocking that from happening properly.

Water-Closets-18.jpg

If Mom and Sis come back with a more-modern comfort-height toilet, you should be in business. A lot of us like Totos, but if they are going to HD, the HD $99 elongated comfort height toilet actually performs quite well. I helped a bar-owner friend install it in her Men's Room well over a year ago now, and to my amazement it's still chugging along just fine despite a lot of abuse. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-...sh-Elongated-Toilet-in-White-N2428E/204074796 Personally, I would be wary of their 1-gallon-per-flush model, but the 1.28gpf elongated -- at least the version we installed, and HD's toilets change frequently -- works fine. It flushes well and doesn't clog easily. It has kept on working despite the Super-Cheapo-looking fill valve and flimsy-looking flush valve. I thought that I would be finding myself replacing one or both within a few months, but nope, they both still work fine despite probably 100 flushes a day. (My thinking was that someone would smash or crack the thing, requiring replacement, at virtually any time, so I focused on replacement cost more than longevity of the moving parts in the tank. As it turned out, it hasn't been destroyed yet, and keeps on chugging.)

Your efforts and concern should make your Mom proud.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Sweet Lou

Reaction score
That video, to me, shows a problem entirely with the toilet itself, and zero to do with the house plumbing. That bubble is coming out of the siphon jet hole, and you're not getting much action from the siphon jet during the flush. That suggests that something may have stuck up in there during the plunging, or something's crusty up in there, but instead of a rush of water coming out of there as water dumps from the tank to the bowl, you're getting a bubble and a little bit of bubbly flow (and more water than usual going through the rim holes rather than out the siphon jet).

From the toilet cutaway below, you can see that when you flush and water rushes from the tank through the connection to the bowl, gravity causes part of it to run to the rim holes, and part of it is diverted down to the siphon jet hole ("G" in the diagram) to start and continue the siphon that evacuates the bowl. Something is blocking that from happening properly.

Water-Closets-18.jpg

If Mom and Sis come back with a more-modern comfort-height toilet, you should be in business. A lot of us like Totos, but if they are going to HD, the HD $99 elongated comfort height toilet actually performs quite well. I helped a bar-owner friend install it in her Men's Room well over a year ago now, and to my amazement it's still chugging along just fine despite a lot of abuse. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-...sh-Elongated-Toilet-in-White-N2428E/204074796 Personally, I would be wary of their 1-gallon-per-flush model, but the 1.28gpf elongated -- at least the version we installed, and HD's toilets change frequently -- works fine. It flushes well and doesn't clog easily. It has kept on working despite the Super-Cheapo-looking fill valve and flimsy-looking flush valve. I thought that I would be finding myself replacing one or both within a few months, but nope, they both still work fine despite probably 100 flushes a day. (My thinking was that someone would smash or crack the thing, requiring replacement, at virtually any time, so I focused on replacement cost more than longevity of the moving parts in the tank. As it turned out, it hasn't been destroyed yet, and keeps on chugging.)

Your efforts and concern should make your Mom proud.

Good luck.

Thank you O' Wise One, your input is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Sweet Lou

Reaction score
replaced the 30 year old toilet yesterday and the bubble is gone!!!!!! it flushes like a jet engine too!!! thanks again for all of your help!!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks