Toilet bowl looses water

Users who are viewing this thread

gtfrueh

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a homeowner and have been around toilets for many years. I am not a plumber, but I can replace most of the "guts" in a toilet with big box store components. I have never replaced a toilet and leave that up to the pros.

We had a Kohler Wellworth installed the other day from a master plumber friend. No leaks, no problem. However, I noticed today that once the fill valve stops filling the tank, there is about 8" of water across the surface of the water in the bowl. Looks fine. However, once the fill valve turned off, the surface of the bowl water goes down to about 5" across in about 20 or 30 seconds. This is consistent flush after flush.

I was on the phone with Kohler tech support and verified that the tank water level after filling was OK. They asked me to put a level across the bowl and it turns out the bowl is not level (left to right). Off by about 1/4". They said there was a siphon going on because of this, and leveling out the toilet would fix the problem.

Anyone know if this could be the cause? Is there a way I can test this theory, short of trying to raise the left side of the toilet 1/4"? I'm concerned about the wax ring.

Thanks in advance.

George

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you move the bowl level, you will need to use new wax too.
I normally set the bowl down without wax to see if it needs shims, set shims if needed, pull the bowl up, drop wax down and then set the bowl down.

Sometimes having the back of the bowl higher is a good thing. I always shim at the back of the bowl. I like to have the front of the bowl on the floor, and if the back is high, it just means more water in the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks