Toilet Bowl flushing mechanism problems!! Please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Elani

Reaction score
Hi everybody

My toilet bowl flushing mechanism does not work at all! To flush the toilet I have to hold the handle down for 20 seconds for the toilet to flush. I also have to jiggle the handle. If I let the handle go it will stop flushing. I don't know what to do about this. I can't figure out what is wrong!

Can anybody help me with this? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Elani

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Need more info...is this a pressure assist toilet, gravity flush, is the tank filling to the proper level after the flush, have you changed anything lately, does the flapper valve (assuming it has one) falling immediately, does the water rise in the bowl, but not go out?

hammerhands

Reaction score
I have a toilet with the same problem and the flapper valve drops quick ... how do I fix it ????

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Modern toilets do NOT typically empty their tank - in fact, some may only use 1/2 or so of the water in the tank; so, judging a poor flush on how much water is used is invalid. A flush on the newer ones is quite quick - relying on a short burst of water rather than a slow, big volume. That is why this type uses a 3" diameter flapper valve to allow a big shot of water to fall quickly then shut off.

A few reasons a toilet doesn't flush well: it's a lousy toilet, the tank water level is not proper (this provides the pressue - like from a water tower), or there is an obstruction.

If the toilet once worked properly, and now doesn't, an obstruction is the first thought. I could be in the toilet, or in the line. Kids are notorious for dropping a pencil, pen, toy, comb, brush, etc. down the toilet and not telling anyone.

If you changed anything, you may not have put in a compatible part. A flapper valve needs to be selected for your toilet...depending on the model, a generic may not work right and waste water, or not flush the designed volume, compromising the flush.

hammerhands

Reaction score
My flapper drops quick and doesn't allow enough water through when I flush. I have to hold i down until it flushes. Its a older Kohler but low water usage...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may have a replacement flapper that is not the original.

Sometimes the replacement flappers need to have some portion of it cut out so they will float.
Instructions here
http://www.korky.com/PDF/2001BP.pdf

2001BP-Unpackaged.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks