Toilet bowl crack??

Users who are viewing this thread

kevinivey

Reaction score
our 20 yr old Peerless Toilet Bowl now has a hairline crack from the handle down to the base; the plumber came out and said it was 'impossible' for this to occur due to wear and tear and that we must have over-tightened the plastic nut or somehow cracked it?? And our home warranty co will not cover it unless a plumber says that, yes, while rare, this can occur. Thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Was this insurance provided by the seller when you bought the house? I don't think you will be renewing.

On the good side, your new toilet will probably flush better. If you have a plunger nearby now, you will then move that out of the bathroom.

The crack may have started long ago, and progressed with time.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have seen tanks crack for no good reason. Some brands are worse than others for that.
Some of the product by Norris that I installed in the 70's is cracking badly. Not due to neglect, just kind of falling apart.
Crane is another brand that cracks a lot.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Standard Cadets were notorious for just cracking "spontaneously". I have had customers say they were walking down the hallway and heard a "ping" and then water started flowing out of the bathroom. In this case, the handle corroded and created pressure on the tank so it cracked from the handle opening downwards.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks