Toilet Base - Stability

Users who are viewing this thread

Shubox56

Reaction score
Silly question for you --- does a squared off base vs an oval add any additional side-to-side stability? Something like the AS Cadet Ovation.

Reach4

Reaction score
side-to-side stability
As in sliding, or as in rocking?

For sliding, the caulk actually helps.

For rocking, you need to position shims. They should be placed before dropping the wax and the toilet for the final time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shubox56

Reaction score
I will definitely shim if needed. My question is more about base design. Assume that no shims were used, would the wider squared off base be more stable? To me it seems plausible.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Regardless of the shape of the base, it is not uncommon to need some shims to keep it stable from rocking. That is critical as the wax seal will be compromised if it rocks, then rocks back after being compressed...it's not a spring!

And, yes, the wider/longer the base is, in theory, would be more stable, but when properly installed, that typically isn't an issue at all. Especially over a tiled floor, with the two hard surfaces, there's not much friction, and the anchor bolts can allow the toilet to move. That is one reason why they call for caulking around the front 3/4'ers of the toilet. Once that cures, it really doesn't matter the shape of the toilet base...

You do want the flange to be solidly anchored, but you don't want to excessively tighten the bolts...you're likely to crack the toilet...porcelain is strong, but it's not springy...it's very brittle. The bolts don't need to be super tight and you should compress the wax with pushing down on the toilet with your body weight, not by screwing down the nuts...just tighten them up after the toilet is sitting on the floor then caulk.

Shubox56

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I like the looks of the Cadet Ovation which gets decent reviews by users. Pros may have a different opinion. I just finished installing my LVP flooring and will be heading to the big orange box to pick up a pair of toilets in the days ahead.

I'm also debating if the oblong toilet will be to big for the smaller of the two bathrooms. Typical small bathroom --- toilet between vanity and tub. The oblong will have around 28" to 29" to the wall in front of the toilet. You have to walk in front of the toilet to get to the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks