Toilet and shower same drain/vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rantipoler72

Reaction score
I am attempting to place a vanity, toilet and shower in-line along an interior wall in concrete floor with last fixture before the drain exits the building to septic tank being the shower. The toilet will be in between shower and vanity. I would like to vent the all 3 fixtures together on a 3" line and have drawn (crudely) a mock up of how I would like to configure but I am not certain I can vent the shower and toilet in the manner I have drawn. I have a decent understanding of venting and drain figuration, including type of elbows and fitting needed for horizontal -vertical, vertical horizontal, etc. but when it comes to the specifics of fixture venting I do not have the confidence that I fully understand. Rather than, risk it, I thought would ask for an expert to review my plans and if I am way off base, then I would find an expert - i.e. you fine folks, the true craftsman to assist this poor hack!

Thanks

IMG_0256.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That does not work.

You have an S trap on the shower with no venting.
The shower can't be downstream of the toilet without first having a vent.

You can't dump the toilet into a horizontal sanitary tee. The poop lands and goes both ways. There is nothing there to direct the poop downstream. Only wye fittings work on the horizontal.

If you were to dump the toilet into a 90 and downstream of that have a 3x2 wye which picks up the shower on the way to the lav, that would work. The lav winds up venting the shower and the toilet that way. The p-trap for the shower needs to be basically flat off the 2" line to the lav or you lose the venting for it.

Reach4

Reaction score
OK uses IPC. So shower after toilet can be ok, but the angle of approach may need to change. There has been discussion on that.

See page 12 of https://wabo.memberclicks.net/assets/pdfs/Plumbing_Venting_Brochure_2018.pdf
Note that the wet-vented things come in from the side and not above. Logically I don't see a reason for needing the toilet to come into the side, but I don't have a full understanding . I see a need for the shower to come in from the side.

At first I thought your drawings said "French Trench". :oops: I realized my error as I was mulling that term.

Rantipoler72

Reaction score
OK uses IPC. So shower after toilet can be ok, but the angle of approach may need to change. There has been discussion on that.

See page 12 of https://wabo.memberclicks.net/assets/pdfs/Plumbing_Venting_Brochure_2018.pdf
Note that the wet-vented things come in from the side and not above. Logically I don't see a reason for needing the toilet to come into the side, but I don't have a full understanding . I see a need for the shower to come in from the side.

At first I thought your drawings said "French Trench". :oops: I realized my error as I was mulling that term.

Rantipoler72

Reaction score
IMG_0268.jpg
So, if I am following you correctly, this would be the appropriate approach? And the toilet could potentially come in vertically, using a 3 x 3 Y and 45 3" and NOT a sweep to direct waste in one direction (like my first sketch) instead of horizontally as I have drawn in the second picture?

The toilet vertical approach would be ideal so I do not have to widen the trench as would have to do with the horizontal approach.

Rantipoler72

Reaction score
That does not work.

You have an S trap on the shower with no venting.
The shower can't be downstream of the toilet without first having a vent.

You can't dump the toilet into a horizontal sanitary tee. The poop lands and goes both ways. There is nothing there to direct the poop downstream. Only wye fittings work on the horizontal.

If you were to dump the toilet into a 90 and downstream of that have a 3x2 wye which picks up the shower on the way to the lav, that would work. The lav winds up venting the shower and the toilet that way. The p-trap for the shower needs to be basically flat off the 2" line to the lav or you lose the venting for it.

Thank you for your assistance!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks