ToeKick Hydronic heater installed wrong... what to do??

Users who are viewing this thread

pdx.drippy

Reaction score
A friend of mine had a plumber install a small toekick hydronic heater a few years ago & it never ever worked properly. There is a regular old 50gal electric H2O heater next to the bathroom. The "plumber" put in 3/4, 3/4, 1/2 T in the top of the water heater. 3/4" cold enters from the top & 3/4" hot exits vertically. 1/2" parts exits (all in PEX) to a recirculator pump & then to the heater & returns on the 1/2" part of the cold Tee. There are shut valves on both the 1/2" hot & cold at the water heater.

anyway, there is some mixing of hot & cold now, do I need to put in some kind of check valve somehwere? mixing valve? she'd like to use the thing. this is in portland, oregon....

thanks in advance for any advice

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Of course there has to be a check valve in the system somewhere, otherwise, depending on pressure differentials, the cold water could flow through the radiator and enter the hot water piping.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well if it never worked then why wouldn't that friend have called the plumber back to fix it? It could be a few problems, the dip tube in the HWH could be cracked causing a mixture of cold and hot. It could be a failed check valve or an element/thermostat on the HWH not working.

Also what temp is the heater set at? Hyronic heat is usually higher than a regular HWH.

Last edited:

pdx.drippy

Reaction score
I put in a spring loaded check valve in the return, just b4 the cold water T.
THx 4 the advice on raising the temp, its not working that great right now.
will get a mixing valve to tone donw the temp of the hot water 4 the taps.
the other "plumber" was clueless i guess... oh well, thx again 4 the replies

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; the other "plumber" was clueless i guess

Being a "plumber" does NOT make you a heating expert, or even a "heating man". The two trades have different requirements, even though both work with pipes. You would NEVER ask a heating man to fix your faucet, would you, (or does it depend on how much he would charge you)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks