To whom it may concern

Users who are viewing this thread

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
construct30 said:
I for one love the diyers, they pay really well and hardly ever complain after they screw something up and have to call me to fix it.

I think it should be totally illegal for anyone without certification to ever mess with any gas line or heating appliance inside or out. It is illegal to plumb gas lines outside a home without being certified so why not inside?

Many permits do seem to have more to do with collecting money than inspecting properly, but they do need to pay inspectors more in Pennsylvania for one. They get $45 per inspection so how long can they take. You get what you pay for. I think most inspectors do the best they can with the rules and politics they have to live with.

Mark

Where I am it is absolutely 100% illegal to do gas inside, outside or on mars.
I agree 150% with every word you posted.

ChuckNJ

Reaction score
Interesting thread

Very interesting thread. I'm used to hearing electricians go on and on about how no one but electricians should do electrical work. This thread started by Mr. Grumpy seems to have the same feeling.

ALthough I do understand where he's coming from, the fact is that homeowners / DIY's will continue to dabble in the plumbing and electrical fields. I don't necessarily approve a H.O. installing their own sub panel or boiler, but realistically it will happen. When it happens wrong, they will be the ones who ultimately pay for it.... either with their checkbook, their life or their loved ones or friends life....

What I ABSOLUTELY and POSITIVELY am against is a CONTRACTOR DOING THE SAME.

I'm a renovations contractor, and I will not do any new plumbing or electric. Liability has a lot to do with it, more importantly killing or maiming one of my clients is the real issue.

ANY CONTRACTOR who installs new plumbing or electrical, regardless of experience is taking a huge risk in doing so. If you want to risk your own life.... so be it. Take that gun out and shoot yourself in the foot any time you like. If you risk someone else's life for the almighty dollar, then your just plain stupid....... IMO Hire your plumber and Electrician to do the job properly

INSURANCE, PER MY AGENT:

My insurance will cover me for most loss: plumbing / electrical / construction and the specific restrictions are listed in my policy. Obviously, if something was done with malice....there is no coverage, but for the most part if I did plumbing or electrical work and there was an issue it would be covered. Besides permits, they would be reviewing my bookkeeping to make sure that I wasn't going beyond the percentages I'm allowed to do such work. I'm insured as a renovations contractor and they have guidelines for "how much" electrical and plumbing work I'm supposed (or allowed) to do and actually bill for.

BTW..... I do fix my own house.... until my experience forbids continuance. Maybe I'll look it up on one of these forums, maybe not. Most of the time I just use the relationship I've developed over the years with my flushie and sparkie and let them take the reigns. I sleep much better when I do so.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Chuck, I had one GC who likeed to "tinker" with my plumbing.
I'd go in and try to open a stop to make sure the pressure was good, to find no pressure wind up running around to figure it out...to discover he'd decided to add a silcock while I was away and forgot to turn the isolation valves on.
He also admitted proudly to having done his own boiler.
I don't frame walls, don't wire boxes or boilers even.
I plumb, thats what I do and I do all I can to stay up on my code.
Geesh, wish you were in my state...I like and respect your thinking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks