To tub, or not to tub, that is the question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My humble home has a single alcove tub/shower combo which is way past due for a remodel. It seems to be common practice for bathrooms to be built with a nice tile shower, which I find attractive, but am not sure about the resale issue of a home with no bathtub.
Presently, we might soak in the tub 2-3 times a year, so personally would be ok either way, but don’t want to create an issue if we need to move in a few years.
I would be interested in hearing what others might think about this.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
A shower can cover the needs of more people than anything else. You would need a tub for little kids, but after that, most people don't soak that much. I've demoed a number of jet tubs that the homeowners claimed they'd never used over a number of years. If the demographics indicate that your place might attract the starter home crowd, then a tub/shower might be best. Otherwise, a nice tile shower with enough room for a shower bench would work for young adults up to seniors.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a 6' air tub that gets used as a tub/shower most every day...my back really likes to soak. Not everyone has the time or inclination (I'm retired now). If you only have one full bath in the house, if you're worried about resale, a tub/shower is probably the way to go. If you plan to stay, build what you want! When I moved in here, I only planned to be here about 4-5 years...it's now almost 30. I held off remodeling way too long. Your home is your castle, and, if you're lucky, when it comes time to sell, you'll find someone with similar desires. Most people do not have the time to take a tub bath, so a shower only can be a viable option.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ask the RE brokers, they know and will tell you that it's easier to sell a house with a bathtub than a house without one. Whether the bathtub is being used 2 times or 102 times a year is not a factor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks