To share or not to share a well

Users who are viewing this thread

HGPRAVE

Reaction score
I'm currently building a house and the contractor has asked me if I'm interested in sharing a well with a potential neighbor.

It's my first time having a well and I'm not sure if it's worth the headache of sharing a well for an upfront savings of about $2000 and splitting the cost of repair.

Furthermore, what happens if I keep pitching in monthly for the repair fund and it doesn't get used by the time I decide to sell the house? Do I get the unused money back?

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just lots of years of dealing with people that are never happy with their neighbors. They say "good fences make good neighbors". I believe having your own well makes for good neighbors. You will always be blamed for low water pressure, repair costs, outages, and so on. You will be blaming them for the same things. It can work when it has to. But it is always better to avoid conflicts with your neighbors and family.

On the plus side, when both of you have your own well, you will be able to attach a garden hose to help out a neighbor whose pump has quit on a holiday weekend. Always better to have a chance of a positive relationship than a negative one.

HGPRAVE

Reaction score
Just lots of years of dealing with people that are never happy with their neighbors. They say "good fences make good neighbors". I believe having your own well makes for good neighbors. You will always be blamed for low water pressure, repair costs, outages, and so on. You will be blaming them for the same things. It can work when it has to. But it is always better to avoid conflicts with your neighbors and family.

On the plus side, when both of you have your own well, you will be able to attach a garden hose to help out a neighbor whose pump has quit on a holiday weekend. Always better to have a chance of a positive relationship than a negative one.
Thanks for the input, very helpful!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
+1

Just lots

of years of dealing with people that are never happy with their neighbors. They say "good fences make good neighbors". I believe having your own well makes for good neighbors. You will always be blamed for low water pressure, repair costs, outages, and so on. You will be blaming them for the same things. It can work when it has to. But it is always better to avoid conflicts with your neighbors and family.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is what I tell my customers. "How often does a husband and wife agree on how to spend money?" "Now how do you think you and your neighbor, who you may not even know at this point, will agree on how to spend money?"

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Work on a community system and see who wants to pay the bill!

They have a bigger family.
They wash their cars,
They water the garden
I saw them power washing their house
Their house is bigger/has more bathrooms

Drill your own well!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks