to much pressure ???

Users who are viewing this thread

michel7760

Reaction score
Hi,
I owned our house in 2004, in ten years I had to replace the tank 3 times ( blader dammaged) :confused:I have to replace one or the other sprinkler valve at least once a year ( plastic explosed):( and I have to repair my PVC pipes coming out from the well at least 2 times /year ( either a damaged elbow, or a connection, or even a explosed pipe) what could be the probleme?:mad:
Pump is a 2 HP at 70 feet deep and well is 190Feet deep, I don't know if their is a foot valve between pump and pressure tank.
Otherwise when pipes or tank isn't dammaged, everithing works fine.

If some one have an idea

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
To be clear, the pump is down the hole 70 ft, and there is no pump above ground. That is a big pump for a submersible down 70 ft. Do you mean 170?

How large is your pressure tank? What PSI numbers do you get on the gauge? Do you do a lot of sprinkling?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that the pump is too big for what it is used for and so it cycles on and off. Cycling will wear out the bladder from all the bending back and forth.

Sprinkler systems should be tuned so that the pump runs continuously rather than cycle on and off.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The burst pressure of most pipes is 2 to 5 times the pressure rating. Pumps can’t even build enough pressure to reach the pipes pressure rating, much less the burst pressure. But water hammer can cause pressure spikes many times higher than the burst pressure of the pipe. I suspect you have an unnecessary check valve above ground that causes water hammer on pump start, and would burst the pipe coming from the well. You probably also have a problem on the irrigation side. Maybe your mainlines are long and have to refill before the water gets to the sprinklers. The velocity of water when filling an empty line can cause damage to the pipe. A pressure spike also happens when the pipeline is finally filled and the water comes to a sudden stop at the last elbow or a dead end in the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks