To keep drilling or

Users who are viewing this thread

walkeasy

Reaction score
First well I am digging. Or paying to have dug, rather. From all that I have learned thus far I understand this post is really just me getting out my frustrations, as no amount of advice can produce water.

So here I am anyway..

Upon finding out that our new property was a mountain sitting on lots of sand, 360 feet to be close to exact, I didn't believe it. I planted a few trees earlier and not much but rocks, just what I would expect from a mountain spot at roughly 800 - 1200' in elevation. So anyway, after much trouble locating a local driller due to claims of sandy and dangerous drilling grounds a few small ponds were put in and the hydro drilling began. 360 feet later bedrock was found. A dirty trickle at 260', the 2 neighbors water aquifer presumably. On with the casting to 360 feet. At 500' 1 gpm was found and seemed clean. Let it sit for a few days and nothing. Water level is about 400'.

So down another 100'. Nothing..

The thing that gets me is that I know another location will most likely cost 360 feet of casing.

Pump and piping cost is going up. Water is scarce, perhaps enough to drink and take a shower but nothing worth the cost at the moment.

My thought is to perhaps drill 100 - 200' further then stop if nothing erupts and continue with the pump install and add a cistern later after I move in and pay off my new fancy hole to cover for all secondary water sources.

other thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Take into account that the casing holds some water. If there is 100 ft of water down to the pump, that would be 65 gallons with a 4-inch casing and 147 gallons in a 6 inch casing. Maybe you would need a cistern.

If you go with a low producing well, you will want to add a device that senses when the pump is out of water and shuts the pump down for a while.

Good luck. I am not a pro.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
In for a penny, in for a pound. My guess is the next hole would be similiar, but it's no guess that you don't want to duplicate the casing. I would stay with the hole a bit more and get the tank.

There are a ton of people here that are buying water - 2500 gallons for $140 I think. Even a Gov. program to give out the tanks after jumping a bunch of hoops.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks