To flush or not to flush: Plumbers warn of drain dangers at home, in city

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The garbage disposer "no-no list" is absurd to me. No eggshells? No fruits/vegetables?

Exactly what CAN you put down the thing?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have one, but I don't let much go down it. Too many times I've seen what goes down them. I've had to cut pipes out that were heavy with grease. One Thanksgiving at my moms, they jammed the kitchen sink with potato peelings. Twentyeight people over and no working sink.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, no grease -- agree with that one.

And I used to get the "Thanksgiving potato peel clog" myself in years past. Seems ironic that these clogs appear at the "worst possible time" (i.e. right before company comes to your house) but of course no coincidence, as you are cooking for a crowd.

In any event, I have not had a single kitchen clog since upgrading to an ISE Evolution. These things mince the peels so fine that they really do not clog.

Bgard

Reaction score
I have one, but I don't let much go down it. Too many times I've seen what goes down them. I've had to cut pipes out that were heavy with grease. One Thanksgiving at my moms, they jammed the kitchen sink with potato peelings. Twentyeight people over and no working sink.
I had the exact same thing happen, I now live in that house and all that goes down it is the small amount of stuff left on plates when rinsed of before going in the dish washer. no more potato paste

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I hate ISEs -- smelly, dirty, noisy, jambs, and clogs. Never could see the point. A quality easily accessible garbage can -- now you're talkin...

Cjccmc

Reaction score
"Don't use the toilet or garbage disposal as a trash can" <--- That's my rule at home. But I think I'm the only one who follows it :mad:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I hate ISEs -- smelly, dirty, noisy, jambs, and clogs. Never could see the point. A quality easily accessible garbage can -- now you're talkin...

Not true of the ISE Evolution Excel. So quiet you can barely hear it; never clogged for me.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Now I'm not going to say that you can't hear it running. But the Evolution Excel is in fact so quiet that you can easily hold a conversation and can kind of forget that it's running. Assuming you're not grinding up some beef rib bones or something. Then it's not silent.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now I'm not going to say that you can't hear it running. But the Evolution Excel is in fact so quiet that you can easily hold a conversation and can kind of forget that it's running. Assuming you're not grinding up some beef rib bones or something. Then it's not silent.

I installed one for a friend. Extremely quiet. One problem that came up, maybe a year later, was it started vibrating, making a bunch of noise. I called ISE, asked me to check the rotating impellers (not sure that's the correct name), one had gotten jammed up with something and wouldn't rotate. Put a stick down there and rotated it a bit to free it up and that fixed the problem. Just an FYI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks